Musical acts visit Starkville, surrounding cities

With all the excitement surrounding Mississippi State University’s football team this season, it is easy for students to forget the earth’s axis is not, in fact, Davis Wade Stadium. Bulldog football is not the only thing winning this fall. Starkville’s music scene is blooming as well, with two major artists gracing the town with their music this weekend.
Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern welcomes Brooklyn-based singer Bret Mosley. Encompassing Delta blues, funk, rap and folk, Bret Mosley appeals to almost every listener. Bret Mosley is a one-man band, but not in the traditional sense that he only piddles around with an acoustic guitar. Mosley plays the stomp box, the guitar and the dobro. Thedesignstudio.com’s Dave Bias describes Mosley’s sound as “Chris Whitley meets Marvin Gaye,” and his agent, Ben Bounds, describes him as a rough and tough “Brooklyn Bulldog.” Mosley’s authentic sound rings true of American soul, a healthy blend of Americana roots-rock and alternative.
Zorba’s Greek Tavern boasts the arrival of Damn Fine Company, a classic American rock ‘n roll band based in Charleston, S.C. A result of a collaboration between four singer-songwriters in Charleston this summer, Damn Fine Company is a musical experiment that combines the styles and music of John Wesley Satterfield, Mac Leaphart, Ryan Bonner and Reid Stone. Stone, an Ole Miss alumnus and a Vicksburg native, described the band’s sound as “feel good music,” and said the music is characterized by strong harmonies. The fact the majority of Damn Fine Company is composed of lead vocalists from other bands gives them a blend of many different styles. Damn Fine Company’s sound is easy on the ears and relatable to all listeners, drawing from outlaw country style.
Bounds, agent of both Bret Mosley and Damn Fine Company, said the bands were ready to travel.
 ”Both of the bands are excited about coming to Starkville on a home game weekend.”
The fact that Starkville boasts two nationally touring acts on the same night is a great opportunity for local music lovers.
However, MSU students’ attendance of live shows shouldn’t end with this Friday night. Tons of artists are currently in the middle of their autumn tours, many of which are visiting nearby cities such as Oxford, Jackson, Birmingham and Memphis.