Facebook takes on new form of politics

The time comes around every four years where everyone’s Facebook news feed is bombarded with political rants and sappy advertisements of candidates holding some religious item with the American Flag behind them. Yes,  the time for the 2012 presidential election is here. Whether or not people participate in the trend of displaying political views on social networking sites, ignoring those who do is almost impossible.
When it comes to getting passionate with politics on Facebook, Brandon Beatty, junior accounting major, said he does not post anything except the occasional political web link, and people who do sometimes are not as informed as they may seem.
“I think a lot of times when people put their political views out there, it’s not fully backed with reason; they just kind of sound ridiculous. When I see people write stuff, it’s too much opinion-based, not enough fact-based,” he said.
Regardless of which political party these Facebook users are supporting or bashing, some people believe they deserve some credit for attempting to be active citizens in the government.  Beatty said even the drawn-out arguments on political posts are not always a bad thing.
“To me it’s a good thing because I think not enough younger people are involved. But like I said, sometimes it makes me realize how uninformed people are,” he said.
Like every issue in America, there are always multiple sides. Although some people may agree a little politicking over Facebook is harmless, others do not feel that way. Ashtin Giambrone, freshman biomedical engineering major, said she is dissatisfied with what her Facebook news feed has become.
“When I think of Facebook, I think of photos and friends. Facebook just isn’t the right way to go about it,” she said.
Giambrone said she does not think social networking sites in general are appropriate places for people to discuss politics.
“If it is continuous, I usually de-friend them, in all honesty. I really don’t care about their posts,” she said.
Some people have more nonchalant outlooks on the issue of Facebook politics. A.J. Parks, freshman biology major, said she is not really affected by people who post their views on social networks.
“Facebook is their freedom of speech. If they want to have a political debate on there, I really don’t care,” she said.
While various Facebook users may even try to avoid their news feeds around the time of local or national elections because of the ranting and raving, Parks said it will never keep her from checking her Facebook when she wants.
“I can just ignore what people are saying if I don’t want to see it. I’m not looking forward to the election being over, I am just indifferent,” she said.