Rap artist Big KRIT, electronic group Zoogma to perform in Starkville

Lost Legend Entertainment is bringing two great shows to Starkville this week with Big KRIT on Wednesday and Zoogma this Thursday at Rick’s Cafe.
Rap artist Big KRIT hails from Meridian. His debut album Live from the Underground landed at number four on the Billboard 100 with singles featuring Chris Brown, Ludacris, Wiz Khalifa, T-Pain and more. He was signed to Def Jam after releasing four critically-acclaimed free albums.
Chris Cajoleas, president of Lost Legend Entertainment, said Big KRIT wrote, produced and recorded his album entirely on his own.
“He is a true artist that creates all of his own music, mixes and records himself and performs it all live,” he said. “Most rappers hire producers or buy beats for songs, but Big KRIT actually samples vinyl and builds sounds himself from scratch to write over.”
He describes Big KRIT’s sound as being very Southern and similar to UGK, 8Ball & MJG and older Outkast records. He said Big KRIT’s songs tend to stray away from materialistic themes.
“Lyrically, Big KRIT leans toward more introspective concepts about life, religion, family and hardships he has encountered more than rapping about glorified clothes, money, cars and girls,” he said. “Although, he does dabble in the subjects on occasion.”
He said Big KRIT and his entire team are considered family to him and he is an inspiration both professionally and personally.
“We have been working together for about two years now and they are some of the best, most humble people in music today,” he said. “He’s a huge influence for me musically and personally, and it blows me away I get to work with an artist of his caliber on a business and personal level.”
Slim Thug, Tito Lopez and Big SANT will be opening for Big KRIT tomorrow. Slim Thug is from Texas and Cajoleas said even though the name Slim Thug might not be recognizable, his songs “I Run” and “Smile” were popular during most everyone’s high school years. Tito Lopez is a Gulfport native who worked with Dr. Dre on his new record and signed with Capitol Records earlier this year. Big SANT is also from Meridian. His debut mixtape, MF x OG, debuted today, so everyone who attends the show tomorrow night will be some of the first people to hear it performed live.
The music does not stop on Wednesday. Zoogma, an electronic rock group from Oxford will be hitting the stage the day after Big KRIT at Rick’s. Cajoleas said Zoogma resembles the sound of acts such as Sound Tribe Sector Nine, Umphreys McGee and Pretty Lights. The band has played at music festivals all over the country including Wakarusa, Counterpoint, Summer Camp, Hangout festival and more.
He said people can expect loud music, bright lights and dancing Thursday.
“Zoogma shows are loud, bright and involve a lot of dancing,” he said. “They are great performers backed by a stellar visual and light production that adds even more to the experience.”
He said the band delivers two hour-long sets before people realize what has happened.
“I always leave a Zoogma show wishing I could relive it again the next day,” he said. “It is that good.”
Rick Welch, owner of Rick’s Cafe, said Zoogma does well in Starkville each time they visit.
“Every time they return their fan base gets bigger and their live shows get even better,” he said.
Meaghan Owens, freshman business major, has seen Zoogma three times and plans on attending the show Thursday. She first saw Zoogma in her hometown of Atlanta.
“Everyone should go to Zoogma because not only do they play good music, but also the atmosphere they create at their shows is really fun, which leads to a great time,” she said.
Opening up for Zoogma is White Noise from Huntsville, Ala. Cajoleas said White Noise is considered one of the pioneers of “trap” infused dubstep and has previously opened for Skrillex, Pretty Lights, Big Gigantic and Mimosa.
He said it is important to come out and support local music for many reasons.
“Mississippi has a history of great musicians – BB King, Elvis, Snoop Dogg, Rick Ross, etcetera. and the talent to keep up with the tradition,” he said. “It is up to people our age to support it and help local talent develop and blossom.”
He mentioned Zoogma, Big KRIT, Young Buffalo, Parallax, Sipsy Fires and Pell as just a few of the local talents who are “phenoms in the making.” He also said something is always happening in Starkville and it is vital to support the local shows and talent in order to keep them coming back.
“There is always a music event happening somewhere,” he said. “If people stop coming and supporting though, promoters won’t be able to afford to host shows anymore.”
Welch said he has enjoyed working with Cajoleas over the past few years and the variety of shows he has brought to his venue.
“I’ve always tried to bring a wide variety of music to Starkville, but Chris has really stepped up and has been broadening Starkville’s music scene even more,” he said. “I’ve really enjoyed working with him the past few years and have enjoyed the artists he has brought to my room.”
Cajoleas said LLE plans on giving everyone more shows to look forward to this semester and year if people come out and support shows such as Big KRIT, Zoogma, Ott, Nadis Warriors, Wick-It the Instigator, heRobust, Papadosio and many more. He said if you have not heard of the artists to check them out and said October has in store artists from all genres including rock, electro, hip-hop, jam and indie. 
Doors open at 7 p.m. on Wednesday with Big KRIT starting at 10 p.m. Advance tickets are $20, but go up to $22 the night of the show. The doors for Zoogma open at 8 on Thursday night with White Noise kicking things off at 9 and Zoogma following at 10. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 the night of the show. Cajoleas encouraged everyone to buy tickets for the shows in advance.
To buy tickets or learn more about the shows and artists visit rickscafe.net or lostlegendent.com.