Students prepare for academic advising

Preparation is the key to a successful advising meeting. Many students, especially freshmen, reach the advising period without researching major requirements or compiling a list of necessary classes.
Wesley Ammon, director of academic advising, addresses students’ lack of forethought when compiling a schedule for the upcoming semester.
“Students should come to the advising session with a sample schedule and let the adviser evaluate their work,” Ammon said. “Demonstrating that they made the effort shows maturity and makes the session go much smoother.”
A popular way to create an accurate schedule before meeting with an adviser is to utilize the CAAP Compliance feature, located underneath the “banner” tab of the MSU student homepage.   
“Probably the best thing a student can do to prepare is to run a CAAP and see where they stand,” Ammon said.
The CAAP Compliance generates “what-if” evaluations for any student’s major.
It provides information concerning credit hours and highlights the areas that have not been completed and what a student needs in order to complete the criteria.
Barbara G. Stewart, academic coordinator, said students should also develop a relationship with their advisers.
“It is so important from the beginning to make contact with the adviser and make the relationship more personal,” Stewart said.
Some students do not address all areas of concern when meeting with an adviser.
Jennifer Spears, junior social work major, said she feels that she did not rely enough on her adviser during her freshman year.
“I felt confused and did not ask my adviser everything that I wanted to during my freshman year, but now I have a plan and a goal when I come to advising,” she said.
Due to the nature of the advising process, students often can become confused or intimidated when meeting with their advisers.
Ammon said students should be comfortable asking questions and gathering necessary information from their adviser.
“Students should feel free to ask whatever questions are on their mind, regardless of whether they think the question is dumb,” he said. “It’s much better to ask than to leave with unanswered questions.”
Undergraduate advising started on Oct. 23 and extends to Nov. 9.