Bicycle street, sidewalk etiquette vital

Some Mississippi State University students and staff members consider getting from a place on campus to another difficult if bikers are constantly obstructing the sidewalks and walkways.
MSU Chief of Police Georgia Lindley said people want to get from point A to point B too quickly.
This determined rush can spark potential transportation harms to people on campus.
Mike Harris, director of Parking Operations, said MSU does not have any more problems with campus transportation than other universities of the same size.
“We have a large number of pedestrians and bikes, and when they all come together there is going to be some issues,” Harris said.
In June, the MSU Police Department and Parking Operations were sanctioned to follow to the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning of the State of Mississippi’s new traffic polices for MSU.
The Policies for Traffic Rules and Regulations for the Campus and Streets of MSU include regulations for bicycles, parking, permits, registration and traffic and repealed previous regulations.
According to the policies, “no individual shall operate or park any motor vehicle or motorcycle on the campus in a manner as to cause injury to any individual, grounds, building or other facility or property of the university.”
The document also outlines correct bicycle use on campus, highlighting designated places to ride and not to ride.
The polices read, “only campus police officers on official duty are allowed to ride any bicycle on any sidewalk, walkway or other area of campus customarily used by pedestrians with the exception of using sidewalk to access bike racks.”
A bicycle is considered to be a non-motor vehicle with no more than two wheels that is driven by human power.
MSU Police has a group of officers on bicycle patrol that remind bicyclists to dismount and walk their bikes in high traffic areas such as crosswalks and the Drill Field.
“They are warning and asking people and putting out educational fliers,” Lindley said.
Both MSU Police and parking services caution riders and pedestrians.
“Safety should always be the number one thing when bringing these two together,” Harris said. “I would recommend that bicyclists dismount and walk their bikes across the crosswalks and in congested areas such as the plaza and the Drill Field. This would make for a much safer co-exists.”
Parking Services is also lending a hand to help traffic decrease. With seven transit routes, shuttles move people to different desired locations.
“Our goal is to have more folks ride into campus on shuttles and not drive,” Harris said. “This would benefit everyone.”
More transit routes will be introduced soon.
No matter how little time one has to make it to a class or appointment, regulations exist for campus transportation including proper use of crosswalks and road signs.
“Be respectful of others and be careful for your safety,” Lindley said.
The Policies for Traffic Rules and Regulations for the Campus and Streets of MSU can be found online through the university website.