Fall fashion breezes into season

Fall weather is an exciting time to express style and make a statement. During the colder weather, it can often feel like students have less of a variety of clothing to choose from.
Erin Ray, owner of Harmonie Boutique, had some great suggestions for how to style different pieces of clothing and stand out during the colder seasons.
Staying warm is a necessity, and Ray has some advice for how to top off a cute outfit with a warm jacket and accessories.
“Blazers are huge right now, from basic black or white to loud colors. Bomber jackets are very in right now, too. Leather is huge this fall, in everything from jackets to skirts and even leather leggings,” she said. “Cardigans and scarves are also big accessory items for every outfit.”
Ray said boots are a must for the fall season.
“Fall is boot season, and riding boots are back in full force again this fall, as are ankle boots. Lace-up boots are a big trendsetter, too,” she said.
Lindsey-Jorden Cox, sophomore business major, said it is fun to find unique pairs of boots.
“Since everyone wears boots this time of year, it can be hard to find a way to stand out. Pick out unique pairs, like lace up or fringe boots that reflect your personal style without blending in,” Cox said.
Brooke Goldman, sophomore elementary education major and sales associate at Deep South Pout, said layers are also in this fall.
“Layering your clothes is super cute for fall. It makes your outfit stand out more and keeps you warm. You can use cardigans or vests and definitely scarves,” she said.
Although it is easy to just throw on a T-shirt for class, it is more fashionable to take advantage of the cool weather. Ray said it is simple to be cute and comfortable for class.
“For casual class days, take a pair of jeans and a simple tee, but dress it up with a classic cardigan or sweater and a pair of boots. Or take a simple oversized sweater paired with leggings and boots for a comfy-cute look,” she said.
Standing out during fall can be easy if you learn how to layer and pair different pieces together. Ray said it just takes a few key accessories to make an outfit stand out.
“Statement pieces are key to making a wardrobe pop. Throw on a colorful scarf or cardigan to brighten up an outfit, or maybe a simple dress with bright leggings or big chunky jewelry. Purses make great accessories, as well. We carry Big Buddha handbags and the stylish colors of the bags can really make an outfit pop,” she said.
You can purchase these items at local boutiques in Starkville and surrounding areas.