Humane Society hosts open house to advocate ownership insight, awareness

The Humane Society located on
510 Industrial Park Road is having an open house on Saturday, Nov. 10 from 10 a.m.  2 p.m. to promote pet ownership and awareness.
Ardra Morgan, administrative assistant at the Mississippi State University foundation and the mentor for the Day One Program, will be setting up in front of Piggly Wiggly on Nov. 9 to hand out flyers promoting the open house.
The members of Day One will be addressing what to expect at the open house, specifically pet ownership.
“There are other things involved with ownership other than getting a cute puppy or kitten,” Morgan said.
The Day One program began in the fall of 2007 and is for the fall semester of incoming freshman. Stephen Williams, program manager at the Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement, said the office accepts up to 300 students.
“The focus is leadership, education and the importance of community service,” Williams said.
The program has 47 action teams, and each student is supposed to gain 20 hours of community service each semester.
While the program supports other community projects such as Vickers Personal Care Nursing Home and Habitat for Humanity, they also have been working with the Humane Society for four years.
Morgan, who has been a member of Day One for four years and a member of the Humane Society for eight, said while the main objective of the open house is being a responsible pet owner, it also will involve the community.
“It will talk about how to get involved with the community, pet ownership and the needs of the shelter,” Morgan said.
The Oktibbeha County Humane Society is a non-profit organization that promotes animal welfare and takes in over 1,700 animals each year.
It also provides services to the community through low cost spay and neuter programs, humane education and advocating for animal rights’ protection.
Michelle Anderson, board president of OCHS, said the organization relies heavily on grants and donations from the community.
“We are always in need of volunteers to help our staff wash dishes, fold towels and blankets, walk dogs and socialize with the cats.  We also appreciate monetary donations and donations of supplies,” Anderson said in an email.
All the dogs and cats are vaccinated and spayed or neutered prior to their adoption, and adoption fees may vary. 
The Humane Society also has a foster program for pets for short-term placements.
If anyone is interested in fostering a pet or adopting, call Anita Howard at 338-9093.