MSU United Way begins campaign for Starkville, community agencies

United Way at Mississippi State University launched a campaign this year to raise $100,000 to give to agencies across Mississippi that touch lives in the state.
United Way at MSU’s campaign starts in the fall of each year and is an opportunity for MSU faculty, staffs and students, along with businesses and citizens in the community to make a pledge for the upcoming year.
The money given through this campaign is donated to 17 different agencies including Habitat for Humanity, the Humane Society, the American Red Cross, 4-H Clubs, Boy Scouts of America and many more.
Krista Smith, junior kinesiology major, said United Way affects students because it provides them with ways they can give back to their community.
“Not only does taking advantage of volunteer opportunities help others in the community, it has a direct affect on students who are looking for an extra edge on their resume when job searching,” Smith said.
Robert Cadenhead, university chairman for United Way, said the idea behind this campaign is to bring the campus together through a collaborative effort to help raise the money.
“This is about very moderate to small donations but everybody pitching in. If everybody does just a little bit, it will be enough,” Cadenhead said.
 To promote the campaign, United Way at MSU hosted the Bully’s 5K for United Way Run and Walk on Tuesday.
The organization is also selling promotional items on their website such as “Grindin’ for My State” bracelets and drink holders.
Cadenhead said there is also an online auction with items donated by various departments at MSU.
Items being auctioned vary from lunch with Scott Stricklin, a bottle of dirt from the football or baseball field to a MSU gift basket or carrot cake.
Timothy Chamblee, director of Institutional Research and Effectiveness and division leader for academic affairs through United Way at MSU, said every donation counts and is useful to these organizations touching lives.
“There are those that are less fortunate and this is an opportunity for us to provide for them through a large organization,” Chamblee said.