Exams approach, hidden study spots found

Finals week is quickly approaching.  Upon sitting down to crack open thick textbooks and pages of notes, the people who live down the hall decide to take a study break and have a dance party.  Panic sets in. The library is overflowing with people, the residence hall lobby is distracting and the walls are paper thin. 

Casey Elliott, senior political science major and an office associate for Department of Housing and Residence Life, said she has found spots in a particular dorm which are good studying environments.

“I go to the third floor of Griffis in the classrooms and study there,” Elliott said.

However, the issue of the classrooms and study rooms in the residence halls being full sometimes arises.  If this is the case, Dalton Li, freshman mechanical engineering major, said he plans on taking his books over to the Union.
“I have studied in the upstairs of the Union a good bit. It’s not as busy as the first floor, and it is still really convenient because you are right in the center of everything,” Li said.

There are other aspects to finals other than finding a productive place to study, such as late-night brain fuel. 

Amelia Treptow, coordinator for programs for the Center for Student Activities, provided a list of on-campus eateries with extended hours of operation for finals week.

Burger King stays open until 1 a.m. Dec. 5-12.
Einstein’s stays open until 12 a.m. Dec. 9-11.
Village Pizza stays open until 1 a.m.  Dec. 5-7.
Starbucks stays open until 12 a.m. Dec. 9-11.