SA Platforms

Gavin Barnett

Running for: Vice president

Major:Chemical engineering
Classification:Junior
Hometown:Hoover, Ala.
Platform:

– Have an openly publicized senate meeting once a month, so the student body can see what their senators are doing for them. Invite The Reflector to come to any senate meeting that has important issues, so it can run an article detailing the changes that are being made for the benefit of the students.

– Create a system of representatives within each college who meet regularly with a senator. This will help alleviate the disconnection senators have with their constituents. Create requirements for freshmen who want to run for senate in the fall in order for a standard to be set in place for them as it is for upperclassmen.

– Improve communication between Student Association and the student body as a whole by using social media to alert the student body when legislation is passed in the SA Senate that directly affects them.

– Improve The Drill in the fall semester into an event more people want to attend. It is a tradition that we as students should commit to not just freshman year but every year.

– Improve the Bully Bike system. I want to create a bike rental program similar to that at the University of Kentucky.

– Improve football student ticket sales by taking segments of other programs throughout the SEC and working with athletics and the Division of Student Affairs to determine the quickest and most beneficial system for students.

Park Wynn
Running for: Vice president
Major:Philosophy and political science
Classification:Sophomore
Hometown:Hoover, Ala.
Platform:
– Work with the Department of Transportation to buy more shuttles and shuttle stops on and off campus, as MSU gains a possible transit grant to connect campus with the city.
– Improve and expand the Difference of One Campaign to encourage student involvement by hosting a forum with campus organization presidents with the goal of improving outreach and inclusion techniques for incoming freshmen.
– Improve communication between SA and Faculty Senate by working to incorporate joint briefings between the two bodies and delegate senator interaction with specific Faculty Senate members
– Provide more appealing academic forgiveness options for students by looking to pass a resolution detailing the improvements that students desire, increasing from eight to nine hours.
– Work to improve the football student ticket sales process by exploring with the athletic office the best long-term system for
ticket sales, while revising the current structure of our ticket sales
locations and time availability.
– Improve Maroon Madness and model the program after premier basketball programs, such as “Midnight Madness,” and incorporate what works for those programs into our event.
– Promote senate and student body interaction by establishing a “Meet Your Senator Day” in which senators will be available to meet with their constituents and discuss potential needs.
– Work for a comprehensive election reform with senators to evaluate concerns on campus with our election system using experience as former elections commissioner.

Donny Banerjee
Running for: Attorney general
Major:Biochemistry
Classification:Sophomore
Hometown:Ridgeland, Miss.
Platform:
– Advocate a new academic forgiveness policy by working with students and faculty. The current policy allows a maximum of eight hours, and I would like to see it increased to nine. This would allow students to retake up to three, three-hour courses or two, four-hour courses and a one-hour lab.
– Improve communication with class councils.  They are responsible for raising money for their respective class’s senior gift.  I would ensure they follow the new statutes passed in senate which would have them communicate better with the Student Association and student body as a whole.  I would like to make the councils more accessible to the students and allow them to give their feedback on what their class gift should be.
– Encourage continued collaboration between senate and cabinet. During my time on SA cabinet, both cabinet and senate benefitted from joint meetings. Transparency between these two organizations will help with implementing effective legislature and programs.  
– Promote the campus master plan: The master plan outlines the future development of MSU. This includes new academic buildings, new residence halls and new parking options. I would like to publicize the proceedings of the committee because it is relevant to each student’s college experience.
– Uphold the integrity of the SA constitution. It is the backbone of the Student Association and should be revised and updated in order to accommodate the current needs of students.

Rob Franklin
Running for: Attorney general
Major:Finance
Classification:Junior
Hometown:Starkville, Miss.
Platform:
– Promote availability of legal counsel to MSU students with our new student attorney: On Jan. 30, Whit Waide was appointed as the student attorney.  This position benefits all of students at MSU.  Current students and upcoming freshmen need to be informed on what legal advice can be given.
– Student government is for everyone and I will promote inclusion and participation from students. All students need to be encouraged to join organizations to get involved around campus. The entire student body makes up the student government, and the executives just represent them. Organizations need to recruit and reach out to all students.
– Promote athletics. MSU basketball has been my passion since I was born. Forming the ideal “Dawg Pound” is a work in progress. The student body should come together to emphasize our current cheers and to create new ones.
– Raise students’ awareness of services offered on campus and in the Starkville community. Many restaurants, grocery stores and other businesses offer discounts on certain days to students who show a student identification.  It is ideal to work on an effective advertisement to stimulate businesses in Starkville and help students save money.
– Encourage students to prepare for their future through Career Center advising or through study abroad experience
– Advocate the MSU Constitution by practicing the constitution and interpreting it with high honor and integrity. I would revise sections and make changes that would be in the best interest for the student body.

Shelby Sims
Running for: Secretary
Major:Political science
Classification:Sophomore
Hometown:Hattiesburg, Miss.
Platform:
– My goals for the student association can be summed up in three words: communication, transparency and organization. As secretary, it is my job to inform cabinet, senate and class council representatives of all activities happening within SA. Also, I will work to improve the overall transparency of SA to increase participation among students. Lastly, I am organized, creative and logical. I want to use these skills to help the SA executive council in any way that I can. I will motivate all members of SA and keep them active throughout the year.

Larry March
Running for: Treasurer
Major:Accounting
Classification:Junior
Hometown:Tchula, Miss.
Platform:
-Money Matters: The MSU student body deserves to have their funds directly appropriated into activities that are going to benefit them.  As a representation of the student body as a whole, SA should use its budget in ways more beneficial to students.
-Academics: The current policy of holding students from registering for classes if they have holds on their accounts is in dire need of change. Alternative methods, such as a small additional fee, would serve the same purpose without restricting student access to desired courses and professors.
-Responsibility: This position requires maturity and flexibility.  In my experiences in Day One, Montgomery Leadership, Orientation Leaders and Alpha Phi Alpha, I have learned to manage budgets and act responsibly.
-Communication: There should not be a communication gap between the student body and the Student Association.  I want to be as transparent as possible in communicating SA expenditures to the campus and wish to implement an income statement listing revenue, expenses and any income to give the student body a sense of ownership.

Blake Shepherd
Running for: Treasurer
Major:Accounting
Classification:Junior
Hometown:Decatur, Ala.
Platform:
The largest goal in my platform is to continue improving transparency between the Student Association and the student body at MSU. The most visible step I will take to ensure this is carried out is moving the SA budget onto the SA website so that everyone can see where their money goes. This system will allow all students to stay informed and hold the entire SA accountable for the decisions it makes. It is important to keep the senate fully involved with the SA financial situation to make sure the best decisions for the entire population of MSU are made in a fair and effective manner. I will see to it that the senate has the constitutionally-required financial oversight of all SA appropriations for that reason. To further the goal of transparency, I will present the budget to the senate on a monthly basis to ensure I am in line with the constitution. These reports will allow the senators to make the best and most informed decisions possible as they introduce legislation to improve the quality of life at MSU. My platform hinges on my experiences at MSU, which have allowed me to gain valuable experience in not only creating budgets but also how the treasurer interacts with the SA senate.