‘Look good , do good’ with Agape North

Joe Williams created Agape North with the idea that education was key, and he decided to donate uniforms after learning children in certain countries could not go to school without one.
“Agape North is a clothing company with a mission focus. The people who buy our clothing are promoting a mission,” he said. “The word ‘agape’ means unconditional love, and we want to show those who can and cannot afford to buy our clothes love.”
Williams had experience in the medical field, but he had to learn a lot about economics, marketing and accounting to begin Agape North. He received help from several people that had experience in the clothing industry, including a friend who used to work for Southern Tide. The headquarters are based in Memphis, Tenn., and the shirts are manufactured in Peru.
“Socioeconomic factors affect a lot of people in third-world countries,” he said. ‘‘We want to give a chance to those who do not have an opportunity to school.”
Although Agape North offers assistance to Third World countries, they have helped with charities in the U.S. The company has worked with Service Over Self, Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Ronald McDonald House in Memphis.
Agape North offers quality products that will last for a long time. The polos have 3 percent Lycra to prevent them from shrinking while drying. Williams said he wanted to make a classic clothing that could be worn every day. Agape North offers polos, T-shirts, pullovers and baseball hats.
Agape North has been sold at stores from Kansas City, Mo., to Greenville, S.C. Earlier this month, Williams attended a retail conference in Charlotte, S.C., to showcase Agape North to stores across the U.S.
The company has also been reaching out to several college towns due to the Agape North Ambassadors program. Reed’s has been able to sell the items due to the Ambassadors program. Olivia Cohen, Andrew Baker and Carly Warner serve as MSU’s Agape North ambassadors.
The Ambassadors program is open to all majors. Those who are interested can send an email to [email protected]. The program is available to college and high school students to help promote Agape North.
Prior to starting Agape North, Williams worked as a youth group leader at a church in Memphis. When Toms and Vineyard Vines were becoming popular due to college and high school students, Williams said he realized how this age group was setting an example.
“I noticed that my youth group members had a tendency to give back,” he said. “They are great because they can talk about the products in a college setting and help our product grow.”
Andrew Baker, sophomore sports studies communication major, helped Agape North become a sponsor for the MSU lacrosse team.
Olivia Cohen, sophomore kinesiology major, has learned she to incorporate Agape North into her everyday life.
“I wear Agape North around campus, and I have learned to relate to people with different beliefs because of Agape North,” she said. “Ordinary people can use something to cause a great impact.”
Everyone at Agape North is excited for this month because it will be making their first donation trip to deliver 500 uniforms to the Aqua Viva school in Guatemala City, Guatemala. Williams said he plans on continuing to work with Aqua Viva after the donation trip to build a long-lasting relationship.
“It will be a reward to donate the shirts to know that our hard work has paid off,” he said. “We have done so much since we began in 2010.”