Lady Dogs fall short against Vandy

The fourth loss to Vanderbilt in a row also marked the fourth SEC loss in a row for the Lady Bulldogs in the never-easy SEC.
 The Commodores, led by sophomore forward Stephanie Holzer with 21 points, gained a 4-2 lead within the first two minutes of the game and never relinquished it, winning the game 65-59.
With the win, Vanderbilt improves to 18-5 (6-4) while MSU falls to 13-10 (3-7).
Although State’s record does not reveal success, senior guard Diamber Johnson said the Bulldogs are still a dangerous team in a league where you can never take anything for granted.
“It’s good to know our record doesn’t indicate how good we are. We know what we could be. We have to get those wins to prove it,” she said.
The two main cogs in the Bulldogs near upset were Johnson, 17 points, two assists, one steal, and senior center Catina Bett who logged 16 points and five rebounds in 27 minutes of action.
Also putting in valuable time was Mississippi State’s bench, outscoring their counterparts 29-6. It was their second game in a row dominating on the bench after being outscored by an average of nine points per game in their first eight SEC contests. 
That was about the only positive stat on the afternoon for MSU, who was out-rebounded by 11 and posted a minus 4 assist to turnover ratio.
Vanderbilt had its way down low, scoring 10 more points in the paint than the Bulldogs. The Commodores were also whistled for seven fouls while the Lady Dogs committed 14.
Regardless, Mississippi State was a stop and a bucket away in the second half from taking a lead. They tied the game five times, but could never get over that hump. Instead, it resulted in the type of game that has more or less become the theme for the Bulldogs’ season. Head coach Sharon Fanning-Otis said she was frustrated with her team’s inconsistency.
“I don’t like that there were spurts of energy,” Fanning-Otis said. “When the game is on the line, you have to have a stop.” 
State’s inability to execute and get away clean shots hindered the Bulldogs’ chances. Vanderbilt blocked eight shots, and the Bulldogs were 4-13 from three-point land while only attempted 7 free throws (3-7).
One reason for this could have to do with Vanderbilt’s constant defensive changes. They showed a lot of 2-3 zone and pressed the Lady Bulldog guards in the first half while staying at home and relying on man-to-man in the second half.
“As they changed defenses we didn’t use screens, therefore their matchups were more effective,” Fanning-Otis said.
Four straight losses hurts, but five hurts worse. Mississippi State now has to turn their attention to Baton Rouge and the LSU Lady Tigers Thursday night. LSU will come into this game with a lot of confidence after beating No. 6 Kentucky Sunday, 61-51.
The Tigers, 15-8 (5-5), are led by senior forward LeSondra Barrett, who averages 12 points and six rebounds a game, along with junior guard Adrienne Webb (9.7 points, three rebounds).
The key to ending this skid must be consistency, something the Bulldogs have struggled with all season.
“We have to get off this up-and-down roller coaster, we have to be more consistent,” Bett said.