Fourth Annual Maroon Edition book announced

It was announced on Monday that the fourth annual Maroon Edition book is “Unbowed” by Nobel Peace Prize-winning author Wangari Maathai.
“Unbowed” is a memoir of Maathai’s early life in Kenya and the struggles she faced while leading a movement to reforest her country.
Maathai faced government prosecution for her cause, which gradually developed into what we know now as the Greenbelt Movement.
Maridith Geuder, the director of the Office of University Relations, said she is excited about the opportunities the book will provide.
“‘Unbowed’ provides so many opportunities to get our university involved. Of course, with our forestry department there will be opportunities to learn about forestation and the importance of environmentalism,” she said. “Women’s empowerment and the power to make change could also be considered a theme for this year’s Maroon Edition.”
Each year, a service project is chosen relating to the selected text and to give students a chance to make a difference.
The Maroon Edition is a program in which MSU features one book annually in an attempt to promote reading among students, faculty and the public, while showcasing an important literary work.
One change for this year’s Maroon Edition is that every freshman will receive a copy of the book free of charge at orientation.
“Unbowed” was recommended from a vast number of texts by a committee made up of MSU faculty and students selected by Mark Keenum, president of MSU.