Hollywood portrays powerful patriotism in film

It is no secret the United States of America is in the midst of perhaps one of the most tumultuous periods politically, racially or otherwise that our generation has faced. Some form of the phrase “congressional gridlock” is used regularly when talking about our leaders on the Hill and their effectiveness, or lack thereof. Civil rights issues seem to be treated as political subjects on which a side must be taken rather than serious problems which transcend racial barriers and cause us to mourn with those who mourn in the wake of personal loss. In addition to the American distrust of the government, a September 2014 Gallup Poll showed only 40 percent of Americans trust the mainstream media. National morale and fortitude have been replaced in recent times by distrust and skepticism. 

This trust deficit shows us Americans are weary. The hegemonic entities of American society and government, in the eyes of the average American citizen, are neglecting their jobs. Morale is low, and it appears to have been falling for quite some time now. As we begin to occupy societal leadership roles, our generation must figure out how to reverse these trends.

Perhaps Hollywood has beaten us to the punch. There has been no shortage of patriotic movies over the last several months. Even now, movies like “Unbroken,” “American Sniper” and “Selma” inspire patriotism in various forms. It would be naïve to believe these movies alone will fill the gaps left by decades of perceived irresponsibility, but they do provide a brilliant starting point. “Unbroken,” the story of Louis Zamperini, shows Americans have a history of beating the odds and overcoming adversity. His story inspires the memory within us that this fact will not change anytime soon. “American Sniper,” based on the autobiography of former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle, contributes to the same patriotic American ideal. 

“Selma,” the story of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s epic march from Selma to Montgomery, is especially relevant at this point of time in American society. In the wake of events in Ferguson and New York City, the imminence of this film in particular is even more important. According to a 2013 Gallup Poll, 68 percent of African Americans are likely to think there is bias in the U.S. criminal justice system, while only 25 percent of whites are likely to feel the same way. This collection of data is just one tree in a forest of numbers just like it. This data at the very least shows perceived inequality in certain arenas of society. Perhaps just as “Unbroken” and “American Sniper” may boost morale and patriotism, “Selma” may encourage open and respectful dialogue about just how far we still have to go as a society.

Lindsey Peterson, doctor of sociology at Mississippi State University, notes what is referred to in sociology as “the positive functions of tragedy.” Peterson recounts this theory, saying most of what holds individuals together on a day-to-day basis is hidden in the background, and only after a large scale event happens do we realize how similar we really are. 

We can certainly consider the polarization and unrest in our society as it tries to figure out how to deal with big events that shake the foundation of what we believe. As we move forward, it seems Hollywood may have laid some groundwork for us as a society and a generation to begin to rebuild the foundations of trust, compassion and unity. However, these films alone will not rebuild the hegemonic ideals of American society. It is up to us as Americans to take the conversations, issues and ideals brought up by these films, ideals of patriotism, pride and cohesion and put them into appropriate practice on both the micro and macro levels while avoiding xenophobia.