Starkville, MSU boasts yoga options

According to the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, “A mind free from all disturbance is Yoga.” Everyone needs to unwind at some point, and yoga is a physical outlet that allows students to unwind while also strengthening their minds and bodies. It focuses on meditation and core strength exercises. Fortunately for Mississippi State University students, there are options available to them   if   they  wish to begin this beneficial practice.

Perhaps the most economically practical way to begin yoga is to take a class at the Sanderson Center. The Sanderson offers a variety of classes throughout the week including several different forms of yoga.

The Sanderson offers a form of either yoga or pilates at 6 a.m. Monday through Thursday. Yoga is also offered Tuesdays and Thursdays at 12:40 p.m. and 6 p.m. In addition, there is a Monday class at 5:00 p.m. and a “Slow Flow” class on Sundays at 4:00 p.m.

Kevin Ward, senior biochemistry major, said this is a great way to connect with other MSU students who are entering the world of yoga and enjoys starting his day off with these classes.

“It allows me to relieve any stress I might have before the day begins,” Ward said.

There is also a club fellow   yogis can join at the Sanderson. Yoga Moves Club meets on Thursdays from 5:30-7 p.m. This club is great for beginners because it also provides mats and instruction on popular yoga moves.

Students can also go to Firefly Yoga studio, located at 221 E. Main Street. This is the studio’s new location, and it offers class options for all levels. The class currently has an introductory offer of $30 for 30 days of unlimited classes. However, if you are trying yoga for the first time, there is also a $12 one-class fee. This is a great way to try a class without committing long term. They offer classes such as Restorative, Glow Flow, Friday Flow, Kid’s Yoga, Yoga Basics and Zen Flow.

Yoga is not only fun, but it is also great for the spirit and body. Yoga greatly helps increase flexibility, which is good for joints and body movements, according to WebMD.com. Yoga also tones one’s body through endurance. One can also acquire better posture and breathing benefits from partaking in yoga. Lastly, yoga is good for the heart as well as overall stress levels. This is important for college students due to their demanding schedules and their amount of daily stress. Decreased stress levels lead to a better mood as well as a better mental state. It allows one to clear the mind for a moment and not get bogged down by any current pressures.

A few key words to know before beginning a yoga class are ‘Namaste’ and ‘Vinyasa.’ According to Firefly Yoga’s website, Namaste means “The light in me honors the light in you.” The website also says that Vinyasa means “To place together in a certain way.” These words promote the major themes of yoga. Yoga emphasizes the unity of souls and harmony among all.