Soccer to kick off Friday

Soccer
Sarah Story | The Reflector
Soccer

The Mississippi State Women’s Soccer team kicks off their season at home tomorrow at 7p.m. against South Alabama. 

With two preseason wins under their belt, the Bulldogs enter the game with confidence. Although the Jaguars left Starkville with a win last season, Mississippi State leads the all-time series 6-4.

The Bulldogs return 8 starters, 13 letter winners and welcomes 11 newcomers. Transfers Ariana Holmes and Sarah Hulett bring a lot of collegiate game experience and leadership to the young team. 

In the home exhibition game against Memphis, the newcomers were fearless. Holmes assisted on both of the goals including freshman Carly Mauldin’s game winning goal. Sophomore goal keeper, Tanya Souza stopped four shots at the goal.

The exciting victory helps set the tone for the season ahead. The season opener tomorrow night will be featured on SEC Network.

The upcoming season marks the Bulldog’s third under current Head Coach Aaron Gordon.  Gordon returns plenty of experience to the pitch this year, fielding a roster that includes 10 returning starters.

Freshmen Mallory Eubanks is one of those returning starters who is expected to make a big splash.  Eubanks garnered All-SEC Freshmen team honors and led the squad with six points and four assists.

The team’s only senior Shelby Jordan is hoping to end her collegiate career on a high note as well. Jordan started in 15 of the squad’s matches last year.

Jordan’s maturity will be pivotal to a team that features one of the youngest squads in the  SEC.