MSU student found dead in apartment

Justin Le’Tre Whitsett, who was a senior majoring in political science at Mississippi State University, died on Aug. 28 of  apparent natural causes  in his apartment in Starkville, Mississippi, according to Oktibbeha County Coroner, Michael Hunt.
The Meridian, Mississippi native was an active member of the Mississippi Model Security Council (MMSC), a program geared toward introducing high school students to issues such as international politics, and administered by the Department of Political Science and Public Administration.
The faculty advisor for MMSC, Brian Shoup, said Whitsett has participated in the program for the past three years and begun to play an active role displaying leadership in the program.
“He was always an eager participant and was willing to put in extra time to make our team better,” Shoup said in an email. “Last year,  we counted on him to serve as a student delegate for our Model Security Council simulations in April and he was just spectacular.”
Shoup said the MMSC team that worked with Whitsett is very upset to have lost such a valuable person and member.
“Justin was indeed a wonderful young man. More than anything, though, he was just such a great person. I don’t think he had an enemy in the world,” Shoup said. “He was a special person.”
Funeral services for Whitsett will be held Saturday Sept. 5 at 2 p.m. at Prince of Peace Christian Fellowship Church in Meridian, Mississippi. The burial will take place in Forest Lawn Memory Gardens Inc. with E. E. McDonald Funeral Home in charge of arrangements.