Homecoming Court sees increase in applications, refunds fees to rejected applicants

The 2015-16 homecoming court application process brought changes to the selection process, including a surge in the number of applicants vying for the title of Mr. and Miss MSU. As a result, over 200 students have applied to run for homecoming court and for Mr. and Miss MSU this year. 
According to Mississippi State University’s Student Association President JoJo Dodd, the increase in applicants this year is unheard of.
Dodd also said 12 applicants who did not meet the GPA requirement or did not have the correct amount of hours for the classification they were applying for, will have their application fee refunded by SA. 
“We refunded their money because it seems fair that if someone is going to be considered for a position and it costs money, we shouldn’t take their money because their GPA didn’t meet the requirements,” Dodd said. “So we thought it was fair to give them a refund.”
Dodd said one of the main contributors to the spike in number of homecoming applicants this year is the changes SA has made in the selection process. 
“We did it intentionally. Students who aren’t necessarily in the cool crowd have a chance now, when in the past they haven’t,” Dodd said. “I think you’ll see a homecoming court that represents Mississippi State more accurately than in the past and that’s a great thing.”
In years past, student groups, especially Greek organizations, typically chose one nominee from their chapter to run for each category. 
Then, the student body would vote on these nominees and that is how they were elected to their positions. 
Last year that all changed. In order to be considered for a homecoming position, applicants must meet or exceed the university wide average GPA, which SA gets from the Dean of Students’ office. Dodd said this GPA requirement is written in the Student Association’s Constitution and is not a new requirement for homecoming court applicants. (The Student Association’s Constitution can be read on the SA website.)
Candidates who did meet the GPA requirement will move on to the interview portion of the selection process, which consists of two rounds – group interviews and individual interviews. According to the Homecoming Maid Evaluation form, the areas of Leadership, Academics, Service and Commitment to MSU are based solely on the candidate’s résumé. The fifth section, Interview/Ability to represent the university well is based on the actual interview. 
“We’re looking for something specific,” Dodd said. “We’re looking for someone to represent Mississippi State who is academically, socially and community-wise giving back to Mississippi State.”
Freshman maid applicant, Katherine Nayman, said she is excited these changes are being made, but thinks the student body should still have a voice in choosing their homecoming court.
“I think it should be up to the student body,” Nayman said. “But it is nice to make sure the person selected will represent the university well.”