Softball splits exhibition with Troy

On Sunday, the softball team for the Mississippi State Bulldogs went to battle against Troy. With players like sophomore Cassidy Knudsen and Holly Ward, the Bulldogs split the exhibition. Everyone was pleased with the tough win against even a tougher opponent. Even Coach Stuedeman said “I am really pleased with the performance from Cassidy Knudsen and Holly Ward.” In the performance, Cassidy recorded her first no hitter in her collegiate career. Morgan Bell would eventually lead the team in offenses with two doubles and  a homerun. 

During game one, Cassidy would get to start for the bulldogs. Cassidy strikes out five of the seven batters she faces, but unfortunately Troy would finish up with two doubles to give the lead before the end of the game. This would encourage the bulldogs to beat them in the next two series. This is why the bulldogs went 3-0 until the final inning. Troy wouldn’t have a chance to beat the bulldogs after they had the upset over the first game. 

During the second game, as Holly Ward would get the start, the bulldogs come out hot. Ward would also end up striking out five of the Troy batters against her. This would continue until the last inning, where Troy would score toward the end. Ward would end the game throwing a no hitter and putting several batters from Troy out. 

This is an excellent showing for the bulldogs. With all the commotion from football, the softball team is doing well too. All the young talent on this roster show that the softball team should make some noise in the years to come.

Let’s see how good this team can keep up the pace and maintain its focus as the season goes on. So everyone go out and support your lady Bulldogs!

The Bulldogs will have to traverse  the perils of the road this season as they await the completion of their new stadium. The new facility is set to open Thursday, February 11, 2016.