Discretion should be utilized when consuming news on social media

In light of the recent active shooter scare on Mississippi State University’s campus and the tragic shooting and death of the Delta State University professor, a major fallacy of social media has been brought to the forefront.

Social media is a double-edged sword when it comes to times of great stress and panic. Many have seen the effects of false information being spread in these times and we have comprised a list of ways for social media users, students in particular, to use when perceiving and handling social media posts during high-stress situations. 

Social media has become one of the most prominent breaking news outlets, especially in times of panic. The main issue with this is the fact that anyone from anywhere at anytime can post to Facebook, tweet on Twitter or post on Instagram. Our staff cautions every social media user to use discretion when reading and posting information in times of distress. 

News outlets are held to a higher standard when it comes to discretion and the distribution of accurate information. We as a staff encourage all readers to verify sources of information by following these few steps. 

First, check local news sources for information regarding a current event. Second, make sure that multiple news sources are reporting the same details. Last, if all else fails, contact local law enforcement or university officials for accurate information regarding incidents. 

We realize that in times of panic, all sources of information are reporting on the events occurring but the most important thing to remember is that false information is often more harmful than no information at all.