MSU Ice Dawgs continues seventh season

Courtesy of Jessica Lindsey

Defenseman Tim Spaulding gains possession for the Dawgs and prepares to move up the ice during the team’s match against Auburn Sept. 19. 

Growing up in Mississippi, one could play an array of  sports in their youth. Football, basketball and baseball are usually three of the more prevalent choices and  most kids played one or more of these sports at some point.

However, few have ever attempted a game of hockey. In 2008, former Mississippi State University students Mike Miller, Alex Palmer and Patrick Swartz  began a joureny to break that trend here at MSU. Seven years later, that dream has become a reality. 

The Ice Dawgs are led by Head coach Larry White, who returns for his third year at the helm. Coach White’s son, Bobby White, is not only a member of the team but is also an assistant captain for  the Dawgs.

Coach White said the squad recurits players from all over the country, with their biggest success coming out of places like Nashville, Tennessee.  

“Our process is the same as any other process for any collegiate athletic program,” White said.  “The only difference is we are not allowed to offer scholarships to our recruits.”

Since the Ice Dawgs will graduate six players after this season and also happens to be recruiting two goalies, White said they will have to hit the recruiting trail hard to recover.

“Most kids come straight out of high school to play for the team and are just eager to be able to continue to play the sport they love,” White said.

A genuine love for the game is definitely a huge factor in recruitng for Mississippi State, seeing that the incentive of a scholarship and other stipends that athletes might recieve  are not on the table .

The Ice Dawgs most recent action was a two-game series against the Auburn Tigers. They were unable to defeat the Tigers in either of those matches. Now, at 0-2, the Dawgs will head to Memphis to on Nov. 1 to face off against another SEC opponent, the Arkansas   Razorbacks. The  Razorbacks are currently leading the  SEC and a division victory against them would be a huge win for Mississippi State.  

After the match against the Razorbacks the Dawgs have two games against Middle Tennesse on Nov. 6 and 7.  Then, the team will head to Biloxi Nov. 13 and 14  for what has been dubbed “The Battle on the Beach” a tournament  featuring Middle Tennessee, Tulane, and in-state rival Ole Miss.  

Mississippi State will square off against Tualane and Ole Miss  during the tournament. Team practices are held in Pelham, Alabama, with off-ice practice conducted twice a week in Starkville.   The hockey team host all of its home games in BancorpSouth Arena  in Tupelo.

Updated Editor’s Note: In the original article, it stated the Head Coach is Bobby White. The Head Coach is Larry White. The original article also named a former player as Adam Schwartz. His name is Patrick Swartz. The Reflector regrets all errors made.