MSU’s Turkey Trot promotes healthy living

Mississippi State University’s Department of Recreational Sports will sponsor its annual Turkey Trot 5K/10K on Halloween. 

The event will take place on the Chadwick Lake track at the Sanderson Center from 8-9:30 a.m. Check in will be  from 6:30-7:30 a.m.  

The Turkey Trot is meant to promote healthy living and has grown significantly in size over the years. 

Brent Crocker, associate program director, said a healthy lifestyle is what recreational sports is all about. 

“In 2002, we rebuilt the Turkey Trot from the ground up and wanted our focus to be on providing runners with a safe and fun on-campus race,” he said. “We try to stay true to that mission with the Turkey Trot. Many of our runners have never competed in a race before, so we strive to provide them with a fun and encouraging event.”

Crocker said new runners who want to participate in their first 5k are encouraged to participate in the event. 

“We love to see the race grow because that means more people are being introduced to running,” Crocker said. “The MSU Campus is a beautiful place to run, so getting a race T-shirt and possible raffle prizes makes the experience even better.”

Trey Harrison, outdoor adventure coordinator, said the Turkey Trot stands out from other running events. 

“What makes us different from other events like this is that we offer two distances for people to run,” he said. 

Harrison also said graduate students, members of sports clubs and other volunteers from MSU on the move are helping with the event. 

Currently, the event is $20 for students and $30 for other participants. Those who sign up on the day of the event will pay $35. 

Participants are asked to bring at least three canned goods or non-perishable items that will be donated to the Starkville Food Pantry. 

Profits from the event will help student development and help support the recreational sports student staff to assist in the cost of attending conferences nationally and regionally. 

According to MSU’s website, parents are encouraged to bring their kids for a one mile fun run around the lake. Halloween costumes are also encouraged. 

Prizes will be given to the winners of the race and to those with the best costume. Runners could also win raffles for various prizes from MSU Athletics, local stores and restaurants.

Pets are not allowed during the run, and if runners choose to listen to music, they are asked to keep the volume at a low level.  Runners of all ages are encouraged to be a part of this event.