Children trick-or-treat on Greek Row

Trick-or-Treating on the Row is an annual event sponsored by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life. Children from surrounding areas are invited to come to MSU to participate in the holiday’s annual festivities from 4-6 p.m. Thursday.

Victoria Russell, senior communication major and a member of Chi Omega sorority, said she enjoys this event because it connects the local community with MSU.

“We get to be happy faces to the children coming through and make their day by giving them candy,” Russell said.

Every fraternity and sorority on campus participates by providing candy for children while dressed up in their favorite costumes to take part in the festivities of Halloween as well.

Elise Friloux, president of Kappa Delta sorority, said children simply come to the door of each house on the row, meet the student and receive candy from them. 

“I think it’s awesome that the entire university gets involved with this event,” Friloux said. “The trick-or-treat ultimately leads the kids to the Costume Carnival in the Junction where many different student organizations have booths set up for the kids to play games and take part in other fun activities.”

After trick-or-treating,  children are encouraged to make their way to the junction in their costumes for more fun with blow-ups and more candy from 5-7 p.m. at the Costume Carnival sponsored by the Student Association. 

According to Lauren Iupe, president of Chi Omega, although there is no way to count the number of kids that come to campus for the Halloween festivities, it is guaranteed the turnout will be huge due to the variety of events MSU provides for the public.

Iupe said Trick-or-Treating on the Row is a positive event that not only benefits the community, but students of MSU as well. She said it   brings the community together to celebrate a fun and loved holiday in a safe way, which is why MSU continues to put it on each year.

“They open up their entire city nine months out of the year for us to live in, so it’s only fitting that we give back in a way that is safe and fun for them and their families,” Iupe said.