Student arrested in drive-by shooting, police seek more suspects

Taylor Bowden
Starkville police officer searches suspect’s vehicle Oct 14.

The Starkville Police Department arrested 19-year-old Mississippi State University student Nia Kamyra Smith for involvement in two drive-by shootings that took place in Starkville Wednesday night.
The shootings occurred on Tabor Street and at Camelot apartments on North Montgomery Street.
Shortly after 8 p.m. Wednesday, MSU’s advisory notification system alerted the public that shots were fired at Haven 12 and three suspects were seen running toward the Thad Cochran Research Park, adjacent to campus.
Starkville police later confirmed shots were not fired at Haven 12 as originally reported. MSU’s Chief Communication Officer Sid Salter confirmed via tweet Wednesday night that shots were not fired on campus.
The original shots fired took place on Tabor Street and a second drive-by shooting took place on North Montgomery Street.
SPD officers pursued suspects driving a blue Honda Accord to the vicinity of Haven 12 apartments.
Suspects then vacated the vehicle and fled on foot in the direction of the research park and the female driver, Smith, was taken into custody.
As police searched the car, multiple guns were found and removed from the trunk.
SPD swept the research park with K-9 units Wednesday night searching for the other suspects and the Mississippi Highway Patrol used helicopters in the search as well that night.
There was no shooting toward officers and no one was reported hurt or injured.
During a Municipal Court hearing at 2 p.m. Thursday, Smith’s bonds were set at $15,000 for drive-by shooting and $5,000 for felony possession of cocaine.
SPD reported they are investigating Smith as well as other suspects for a connection to fire arms trafficking.
No other arrests have been made in connection to this incident and the investigation is on going.
To report information regarding this incident, contact the Starkville Police Department at 662-323-4131.