Letter to the Editor

I am writing to add something that I think has been missing from the debate about the state flag.  I am in agreement with those who would change it.  One reason I agree is because I feel solidarity with those of my fellow citizens for whom the confederate cross represents a history of brutal oppression that continues to wound down to the present day.  However, there is another reason for change: the incredible opportunity that the change affords.  To those who advocate for the lowering of the current state flag, I would suggest a modification of strategy.  Let us change the focus of the conversation from whether or not we should change the flag to what the flag might be changed to.  

A new state flag is a tremendous opportunity.  This is a genuinely unique chance to think about and begin to articulate a vision for the future of our state.  For many of us, frankly, the current flag means very little.  Why should it?  We had nothing to do with its creation.  But the creation of a new flag is a kind of opportunity to excite Mississippians that doesn’t happen very often.  Every person that lives in Mississippi can feel like they have a stake in articulating a vision for what can be.  I think we would almost surely be surprised at the voices that would rise in such a conversation.  I would be disappointed if we were not surprised.  This is our home.  All of ours.  What do we want it to be like?  How exciting that we should have this kind of opportunity to address that question.