Students plan for Valentine’s

‘Tis the season for heart-shaped candy, teddy bears, balloons and greeting cards — Valentine’s Day has crept up on us yet again.

Everyone knows the holiday as the pink-and-red-themed extravaganza  it is today, but according to history.com, there are several possible origins surrounding the holiday. One theory states St. Valentine performed secret marriages for couples after Emperor Claudius II outlawed marriage in Rome. He was sentenced to death after this, so they named this day of love after him. It has also been said that Valentine signed a letter to the girl he fell in love with “From your Valentine.” This was the original Valentine’s Day card, and society has carried on this tradition.

Valentine’s Day has different connotations for every person. Braden Benson, senior psychology major, states he has a positive attitude towards Valentine’s Day.

“Some say Valentine’s Day is a marketing holiday, but who cares — It’s a day for you and the person you care about,” Benson said.

Benson said he will spend Saturday cooking dinner for his fiancée. He also mentioned buying flowers and playing an old record for his fiancée. 

The website also said approximately 150 million Valentine’s Day cards are given for the occasion. This puts the holiday second only to Christmas when it comes to delivering cards. Sending a card is a very simple way to show one’s love; however, there are many other ways to celebrate the occasion.

Elizabeth Foresman, sophomore pre-nursing major, said she plans to spend the day at Disciple Now, a religious conference focused on service and discipleship. 

“I think Valentine’s Day is about showing love to the people you care most about, whether that is family or friends,” Foresman said.

Many students view the day with a very romantic perspective.  It is a day when both men and women become in-tune with their softer sides. 

Vincent Ho, junior biological science  major, said he has a romantic view regarding the holiday. 

“Valentine’s Day is a special day where the heart tells us what it wants,” Ho said.

For those who have a Valentine, but no idea what to give them, there is an easy option provided by the Food Science Club. The organization is selling heart-shaped cookies to fundraise for the Relay for Life event that will take place in April. They will deliver the cookies from 1-4 p.m. today, or lovers can be picked up the cookies between noon and 4 p.m. in the Herzer Building. 

Valentine’s Day is not purely for students in relationships. It celebrates the love within all types of relationships including friends, family or even pets. Students can simply celebrate by going out with their friends or planning a gift exchange with other singles. There is no reason not    to indulge oneself, even if it is not with chocolates from a romantic partner. Simply taking a break from school and focusing on enjoying family and friends can be a reward within itself.  

For some students, a successful Valentine’s Day is simply being alone and enjoying time to relax. It is a great time to curl up on the couch with the book you never got around to reading or indulging in a Netflix binge. According to netflixlife.com, there are several romantic movies perfect for the occasion. Try  “Stuck in Love,” “Notting Hill,” “The One I Love,” “Annie Hall” or “Amelie.”