TSD hosts Container Architecture exhibit

Mississippi State University’s architecture honor society, Tau Sigma Delta, currently hosts the Container Architecture exhibit for its gallery. The event started Jan. 25 and will run until the end of February.

Jure Kotnik, architect, editor of bestselling Container Architecture monograph and author of several container architecture realizations, put together the exhibit.

The exhibit began in Ljubljana Museum of Architecture in Slovenia and then moved to Paris, Berlin, Seattle and many other locations around the world.

The exhibit features the works of Adam Kalkin (U.S.), AFF Architekten (Germany),    DeMaria Design Associates (U.S.), HVDN Architecten (Netherlands),  Hybrid (U.S.), Knock.Se (Sweden), Lot-Ek (U.S.), Luc Deleu (Belgium), MMW Architects (Norway), Nicholas Lacey & Partners (UK), Phooey Architects (Australia), Pierre Morency Architecten (Canada), Platoon + Graft (Germany), Shigeru Ban Architects (Japan), Spillmann-Echsle (Swiss), Spillmann-Felser (Swiss), Will Alsop Design Ltd. (UK) and Jure Kotnik (Slovenia).

Recycling and sustainability is an ever evolving concept of architecture. Joseph Rose, TSD member and fourth year architecture student, said he thinks this exhibit is a wonderful experience for architecture students because it shows them how Kotnik’s work embodies the idea of sustainability.

“Architecture in general is pushing toward sustainability and recycling. For the school, it helps students see how diverse reusable materials can be,” he said.

The exhibit is set up on the second floor of Giles. Standing displays show photos of reused portable storage containers used for temporary constructions, public buildings, housing arrangements and much more.

Along with the pictures, the exhibit has two hands-on displays with miniature replica storage containers for passersby to arrange as they choose.

Aryn Phillips, fourth year architecture student, said her favorite aspect of this exhibit are the hands-on displays.

“One of the most interesting aspects of the exhibit are the model containers on display,” she said. “I walk by the room, and each time the containers are in a different placement. It really shows how versatile the materials are.”

TSD keeps in close contact with Kotnik in order to keep him updated on how the exhibit is progressing.

Bailey Stephens, first year architecture student, said this exhibit opened her eyes to the popularity of recycling.

“MSU has been a leader in sustainable actions and programs. This exhibit is another way to portray those actions,” she said. “As an architecture student, it opens the options I have for materials to create pieces.”