Black Voices to present concert

The Black Voices Gospel Choir of Mississippi State University will showcase its annual spring concert, “Gospel Explosions,” 4 p.m. on Saturday in Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium. 

The nationally recognized and award-winning gospel choir will feature selections such as “Joshua Fought the Battle of Jericho” and “Search Me Lord.”

Special guests to perform include Jamero Carter from Coahoma Community College and Kingdomology  Praise Team from Alcorn State University. 

Justin Johnson, president of Black Voices, said he believes the choir is a source of uplift, and he encourages everyone to attend. 

“If you are looking for a worship experience sure to leave a heavy impact on your life, come to this celebration of gospel this Saturday,” Johnson said.

Bianca Thomas, freshman chemical engineering major, said she expects Black Voices to encourage students with praise and worship.

“I have heard them sing several times before, and they have always given a great performance,” Thomas said. “I expect the show to be really uplifting in a religious sense.”

Known for empowering the community with praise and worship, Black Voices of MSU began a celebration of black history month in 1972 and has sustained for 43 years. 

The choir’s motto is “To praise and not to perform, to exalt and not to entertain, for service and not for show, this is why we sing, to the glory of His name.”

The group consists of more than a choir, and also has a quartet and praise dancers. 

Jenika Buckhalter, senior child studies major, said she appreciates Black Voices’ role on campus. 

“The Black Voices are a group of talented singers who help college kids get involved with a church away from home,” Buckhalter said. “They never disappoint me so I expect to get an awesome praise experience during their spring concert.” 

Tickets to the show are $5 and can be purchased at the door or from any Black Voices member.