SAAC presents Cotton District Arts Festival

Mississippi State University’s Super Bulldog Weekend, begins today and will continue until Sunday. This annual event has something to offer  everyone, not just sports fans.

Along with baseball, football and softball games, another entertaining activity that takes place during Super Bulldog Weekend is the Cotton District Arts Festival. The festival will take place from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday in the historic Cotton District on University Drive.

The Cotton District Arts Festival includes live music performances, a juried art competition and show, a writer’s village, the taste of Starkville restaurant competition, 5K and 1 mile runs, a pet parade, a student art competition and more.  The festival will host over 125 different artisans.

Arey Wilson, sophomore sociology major and music minor, said she is one of the performers for the Cotton District Arts Festival. Wilson won second place at the Songwriter’s Showcase, which took place on April 2 at Dave’s Dark Horse Tavern. She will be performing her original music at the festival. 

“I am very excited,” Wilson said. “I have been looking forward to it since the songwriter’s competition.”

Wilson, and first place winner of the Songwriter’s Showcase Tanner Gray and third place winner Mariel Marcum, will perform live  from 12-12:45 p.m. on the West stage.

In combination with music, there will also be art shows at the Cotton District Arts Festival. MSU students and others from the area have the chance to show off their original artwork. 

This year Andrea Clanton, from Grenada, Mississippi, is entering her photography   in the juried art competition. Clanton is entering four photographs she took in New Orleans at her great grandfather’s old farmhouse. She said the festival will be very special this year.

“Sharing personal artwork always challenges you to be your personal best,” Clanton said. “I enjoy meeting other artists and like-minded people.”

The juried art awards will take place at 9:30 a.m. in the MSU Visual Arts Center.

The Cotton District Arts Festival also gives pet owners a chance to show off their furry friends. Registration for the pet parade is at 8 a.m. and the parade begins at 9 a.m. Pets in the parade can win awards for best costume, biggest, smallest, owner-pet look alike, longest tail and much more. Awards will be presented at 9:30  a.m. on the South stage. 

Clanton is also participating in the pet parade and the juried art competition this year. 

“I think my kids are most excited about entering our Yorkie in the pet parade,” Clanton said.

The Cotton District Arts Festival is presented by the Starkville Area Arts Council.

For more information, maps and a full schedule of the Cotton District Arts Festival, visit www.cdafestival.com.