Champ to pass bully legacy to son, Jak

Courtesy Photo | Russ Houston, Media Relations

(photo by Russ Houston / © Mississippi State University)

Champ, Mississippi State University’s living mascot, will walk one last time on Scott Field as Bully before he passes the mantle to his six-month old son, Jak.
Jak will be the 21st English bulldog to take on the full responsibilities as Bully.
Jak was born in October 2014 and his formal name is “Cristil’s Golden Prince.” Jak was named after the legendary and iconic voice of MSU sports who announced football and basketball games for 58 years, Jack Cristil. 
One of the five life-size Bully mascots, Trevon Allen, a freshman biomedical pre-med major, said continuing with Champ’s heir is appropriate.
“It’s better, at that age, his mind is a sponge. He’ll have six or seven years learning on how to be one of the best Bullies,” Allen said. “With Champ being his father, he’ll have the same instincts and it’s a good idea to keep the bloodline going.”
Allen also said puppies are energetic, so while Jak will be just as prestigious as past Bullies, he will also be a playful symbol for MSU. 
“Champ had his days as a pampered dog,” Allen said. “Champ knew he was important and took his job seriously, he focused more on being Bully than playing with us.”
Jak’s mother, Nelson’s Dutchess “Pippa” Philippa, is from Copiah County. The Clarion-Ledger reported before birthing Jak, Pippa loved to ride skateboards and run around the yard, and Jak gets his energetic spirit from her.
 Jak was born Thursday before the MSU vs. Auburn game. He was among six puppies, two males and four females. 
Jojo Dodd, president of MSU’s student association and one of MSU’s mascots, said Bully and his costumed mascots have a special relationship. 
“Whether at a game or away we stay close,” Dodd said. “People want to see us interact. Champ has done everything you could have asked for and more as Bully. Jak is young and I’m sure he is eager to meet adoring fans.”