Leonard Nimoy leaves legacy

There’s no doubt “Star Trek” had a deep impact not only on the science fiction genre, but television as a whole. The magical appeal of “Star Trek” can be found in its examination of humanity. The show began perpetuating ideas that a group of individuals, each from distinct backgrounds and various ethnicities, can come together and peacefully inhabit a universe where they cohesively work to better everyone’s lives. Many of the concepts “Star Trek” explored were — and, to some degree, still are — quite ahead of the times and controversial. Among this controversy, the recently deceased Leonard Nimoy found a voice in the character of Spock.

Spock has become one of the most widespread, identifiable characters in television. People who may have never watched an episode of “Star Trek” are aware of Spock and his famous line, “Live long and prosper,” along with the accompanying hand sign. However, it is important to remember Spock as more than just an iconic science fiction character. He brought a fresh perspective to the crew in “Star Trek”. Spock came from an alien Vulcan race, a people who possessed a very low-to-nonexistent capacity for emotion, which enabled him to function on pure logic, coolly and quickly. This would often cause him and many of the other crew members to clash idealogically, and that is where the brilliance of Spock lies. This character was the vessel the writers would use to execute social commentary and examine the human condition of balance in emotion and logic. Often in television, a character’s judgments or decisions are driven by his or her emotional reaction to the environment around them, but with Spock a mirror is held up to that concept and analyzes the moral extremes of humanity.

This theme of logic over emotion became a common thread in science fiction as it developed as a genre in the years following. Granted, “Star Trek” was not necessarily the first to present this idea, but it would be the one to popularize and implement it in a way that appealed to the masses. One of the driving forces in science fiction is the idea of humanity struggling against an alien or uncontrollable antagonist — an antagonist that can take a vast range of forms. Initially, the set up was simplistic in nature, generally revolving around an unexpected discovery that reveals conflict in need of resolving. For example, man creates the ability to travel through space and discovers new planets, but in doing so provoke an alien species that must be stopped or defeated. There was a very primal, fight-for-survival theme that ran through these stories; however, it was not long until the stories began to reflect more complex dynamics. As technology evolved so did the types of ideas being explored in science fiction.

Leonard Nimoy served an enormous role in ushering the next stage of evolution to the science fiction genre with his involvement in “Star Trek” and the portrayal of Spock. Many times, upon reflection, it is hard to imagine a character presented in a different light or a new face. Such is the case with Nimoy and Spock. Without Nimoy, a majority of the folds that helped to shape Spock and “Star Trek” would have been lost. A world with no Spock would have seen a severely stunted show be drowned out and written off in an era of similar operatic science fiction products. Imagine the immense loss of individuals inspired by the gall and scope of a show like “Star Trek” and the impact they would later have on their mediums. These are people who could have later gone on to be creators, teachers or even leaders.

“Star Trek” is one of those shows that comes around once a generation to touch and enrich the lives of others across all demographics. In doing so, it helps create a bond among society. It is a show that is not only revolutionary for its own time, but also provides a catalyst for future innovation. Leonard Nimoy was the face of that show and his influence extends well beyond the confines of it. With his passing it has become even clearer the number of lives he affected as a multitude of people mourn him. Nimoy’s legacy as Spock will be remembered as legendary, and he will continue to inspire others long after his death.