Green sheds light on sexual assault

Thursday, blogger and activist Laci Green spoke for Women’s History Month at Mississippi State University. Green gave a harrowing presentation on taking down rape culture in today’s society. 

Slut-shaming, the media’s portrayal of rape and victimization were some of the main points she discussed during her speech. 

Green is known for her popular YouTube channel “Sex+,” in which she addresses issues pertaining to subjects such as relationships, body image, sexuality and gender. 

Hannah Holetz, freshman psychology major and longtime fan and follower of Green, said she thought having Green give a presentation on rape culture was needed to show just how common and overlooked this issue is, especially on a college campus.

“Having been on campus for close to two semesters, I have seen firsthand how oblivious students are to the stigma that is attached to sexual assault,” Holetz said. “Instead of looking at victims as sluts and whores who were asking for trouble, we need to prosecute perpetrators and provide support and justice to victims. This presentation was needed to give students and faculty the information regarding rape culture and tools on how to end it.”

During her presentation, Green pointed out specific cases and examples of common rape culture that the public often overlooks. She pointed out the horrifying truths behind Robin Thicke’s No. 1 bestselling song “Blurred Lines.” With lyrics like “I know you want it” and “I’ll give you something big enough to tear your ass in two.” Green said this song is a prime example of how society encourages pushing people’s limits when regarding sex.

Emily Brown, freshman biochemistry major, said persuading someone to go further than they wish in a sexual encounter is a major problem in today’s society.

“I’m honored to have gotten to hear Laci Green speak on the issue of rape culture,” Brown said. “Consent is a subject that everyone needs to understand. ‘Yes’ means yes and ‘no’ means no. There should never be persuasion or coercion in the matter, and Laci clarified that.”

Green discussed the fact that over one hundred college universities are under investigation at the moment due to discrepancies regarding sexual assault cases on campus.

In   almost every video and case brought up during the presentation, a fraternity or athlete with a “promising career ahead of them” was involved. With well-known cases like Steubenville and the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity from Yale chanting “no means yes, yes means anal” in front of the female freshman housing residences, rape culture is clearly a pressing issue.