Mississippi State to replace Rick Ray

Mississippi State University has decided to let men’s basketball Head Coach Rick Ray go after a 37-60 record in three seasons at the helm.

Athletic Director Scott Stricklin released a statement Saturday morning regarding the decision.

“This has been a difficult decision, as I have the utmost respect for Rick, and am highly appreciative of the effort he put forth in leading our basketball program,” Stricklin said in the statement. “To Rick’s credit, we have seen great strides from our student-athletes in several areas, including academics.”

Ray finished the 2014-2015 season with a 13-19 record.

“The more I thought about it, I am just not convinced or have the confidence that as much as I want Rick Ray to be the guy to lead us forward,” Stricklin said in a press conference. “I just don’t know how much confidence I had that that was going to be the direction that we wanted it to be.”

Stricklin said he will lead the search for the next head coach and will not hire a search firm to help find a new candidate.

“I have an idea of some names that interest me more than others, and I have already started the process of figuring out which of those names will be fruitful,” Stricklin said.

Ray had two more years left on his contract and will receive a portion of the final contract.