Bulldogs knock off Eastern Illionis, turn eyes toward road test at Kentucky

The Mississippi State University  Bulldog baseball team rode a stout pitching performance from senior Lucas Laster to defeat Eastern Illinois 5-2.
The victory moves the Bulldogs to 17-6 overall. It also concludes a 23-game stint at home for MSU.
Laster took little time to complement his supporting cast after tying his season high seven strikeout performance.
“I really believe we have the best fielders in the country,” Laster said. “We always know that if we can get early contact they will make some plays behind us.”
Down 1-0 early, the Bulldogs brought in four runs in the third inning to tilt the score in their favor.  With the bases loaded, the  dependable senior Wes Rea smacked a three-run double to left center. Rea would later reach home via an RBI double by sophomore Reid Humphreys.
The Dogs resumed scoring in the fifth inning after Jacob Robson scored on a balk, stealing two bases in the process.  Robson’s score would close out the scoring for MSU.
The Bulldogs finished the game with seven total hits, with multiple hit efforts from Rea and Robson.
“I think it’s important for me to get that big hit that opens things up,” Rea said in reference to his base-clearing double. “But I have to keep doing that and try to make a habit out of it.”
Head Coach John Cohen stressed the importance of clutch hits from the senior as well, saying such plays would be a key component in a successful season for the squad.
The Bulldogs leave the comforts of Dudy Noble and home field advantage to face the University of Kentucky Wildcats in Lexington. Kentucky enters the game on the heels of a four-game losing streak and have yet to win a SEC game. UK is led by Ka’ai Tom, who leads the team in batting average.
“They lost some folks off their club from last year, but they will be very competitive,” Cohen said. “They will be able to score runs.”
The teams will match up Friday at 5:30 p.m., Saturday at 1 p.m. and Sunday at noon, all of which can be viewed on SEC Network.