From State to Sundays: NFL Playoffs preview

The second round of the NFL Playoffs kick off tomorrow, and a plethora of former Mississippi State University talent are competing for a chance to advance one step closer to Super Bowl LVII.

QB Dak Prescott (DALLAS)
The Cowboys have just one former Bulldog, but he’s an important one. Quarterback Dak Prescott is coming off a big game against Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and he is looking to lead a high-powered Dallas offense to another win. Prescott and the team will take on the San Francisco 49ers, who eliminated the Cowboys from the postseason last year.

DT Fletcher Cox and CB Darius Slay (PHILADELPHIA)

Defensive tackle Fletcher Cox and cornerback Darius Slay have played a huge role in the Philadelphia Eagles’ success this season. Slay was voted to the inaugural NFLPA All Pro Team, which his peers vote on. Slay said he felt he should have made the official AP All-Pro team, but the committee didn’t think the same.

Cox has recorded 7.0 sacks this season and has been a force on the defensive line all year. The two will face the New York Giants, who are coming off an upset win over the Minnesota Vikings in the wildcard round.

DT Chris Jones and LB Willie Gay Jr. (KANSAS CITY)

Two former Bulldogs anchor the Kansas City Chiefs defense. Defensive tackle Chris Jones has been one of the best defensive players in the NFL this season. Willie Gay Jr. has also had an impressive season, despite battling some injuries. Both players should be well rested for their matchup against the Jaguars, as the Chiefs are coming off a first-round bye.

P Logan Cooke (JACKSONVILLLE)

The Jaguars are slowly becoming a dangerous team. Last week, they upset the Chargers and now have a chance to do the same to the Chiefs. The Jaguars special teams is highlighted by former Mississippi State punter Logan Cooke. Cooke has been one of the league’s most consistent punter all season and has landed 41% of his punts inside the 20-yard line.