Rodney Atkins will perform at MSU Amphitheatre

life+08%2F30%2F2023
life 08/30/2023

Music Maker Productions will host country artist Rodney Atkins at the MSU Amphitheatre Thursday, Sept. 28 at 7 p.m.
Rodney Atkins is a country artist from Tennessee who began his career in the late 90s and rose to popularity in 2006 with his second album “If You’re Going Through Hell.”
Atkins has had six songs top the Hot Country Billboard charts including “If You’re Going Through Hell (Before The Devil Even Knows),” “Watching You” and “Take A Back Road.”
Music Maker Productions (MMP) is a student-run organization focused on bringing live music performers like Atkins to Mississippi State University. Previous events have featured artists such as Grouplove, Eli Young Band, Key Glock and Saint Motel.
Sophomore Carter McIlwain is the public relations chair for MMP and aids in the process of welcoming and promoting Atkins’ concert on campus.  
“We wanted to have something and we feel like maybe pop country is that something, and I think it’ll be great for everyone just to have that show,” McIlwain said.
Julian Dedeaux, a junior business administration major, has been a member of MMP since his freshman year. In recent years, Dedeaux aided in welcoming artists such as Key Glock and Eli Young Band. Atkins will be the next artist he welcomes to Starkville.
“I think Rodney Atkins is a really good name to have here because it appeals to more than just the MSU student body in my opinion,” Dedeaux said. “I can imagine seeing a lot of people from Starkville and the Golden Triangle area driving to come to this concert because it’s free.”
Dedeaux and the rest of MMP will welcome their new members in the month of September. The group will prepare newcomers for what it is like to work with MMP by bringing Atkins to the MSU Amphitheatre stage.
“I’m excited that this will be our first new event of the year with our new members. So that’s also really exciting to all of us. It’s a good way for them to get you know, get their hands wet, so to speak,” Dedeaux said.
Junior communication major Haley McWhorter is a member of MMP and has helped promote many events including Atkins’. McWhorter shared her thoughts on her participation in the organization.
“It’s really rewarding to know that the work paid off, and I just love that,” McWhorter said. “I just love getting to bring live music.”
McWhorter witnessed several acts across various genres throughout her time with MMP, and country artists like Atkins did not take up much of the roster. 
“You would think us being in Mississippi we would bring more (country acts), so I’m super excited to bring (Atkins) so we can reach that part of the student body who enjoy country music,” McWhorter said.
Atkins will perform Sept. 28 at 7 p.m., and admission to the show will be free for everyone.

Megan Gordon
Megan Gordon, Former Life & Entertainment Editor
Megan Gordon served as the Life & Entertainment Editor from 2023 to 2024.