Harman: 4 self care tips to get through the second half of the semester

Life+10%2F11%2F2023
Life 10/11/2023

As the semester progresses and work loads get harder, it can be incredibly hard to maintain a calm disposition and even harder to maintain a semblance of control over our personal health.
As the semester increases in difficulty, these are a few routine changes I have put into practice to improve my mindset and the quality of my work.
Create a morning routine.
Whether it be making coffee or tea for a jolt of caffeine, doing a skincare routine, putting on a dab of makeup or reading a few pages of a book, creating a morning routine is an absolute must.
Getting into a routine is simple, and it does not just mean you repeat the same exact morning each day. Instead, choose a few tasks that do not take up much time or effort.
Small rituals like making your bed, eating breakfast and drinking a cup of water each morning can have major impacts on the trajectory of your day and do not require a strenuous output of energy.
Building your morning around these small gestures reinforces productivity and ensures that you start the day off on a healthy and familiar note. 
Make life better by eating.
I am sorry to inform you that 500 milligrams of caffeine will not produce the same effects as carbohydrates and fiber. This may seem like an obvious statement, but with the amount of students who go all day without eating, I feel this needs to be reiterated.
Food helps our bodies stay alert and productive and also helps fight off the illnesses that run rampant on college campuses. Everyone is familiar with the mid-term sickness, which spreads rapidly as students forgo meals and stress out over exams.
If you are in a constant state of stress, have a dull headache that never seems to fade, are struggling to focus in class or are burdened by fatigue that no amount of caffeine can deter, put your work down and go grab a meal.
Know when to put down the work and place your focus somewhere else.
While some people overextend themselves socially, others overextend themselves in their work and study lives.
Everyone needs at least one source of enjoyment outside of school and work.  If you are feeling burnt out all the time, it may be that you spend all your time outside of classes working on homework or at your job — never giving your brain a break from mental stress.
Having something to look forward to outside of work and school can do wonders for your week. This does not have to be a party, or even a specific hobby — it can be as simple as going to grab coffee and watch your favorite television show, taking a walk around campus or window shopping downtown.
Study outside of your dorm or apartment.
While this may seem like an odd tip for a self-care column, this little piece of advice did wonders for my mental health. Before this semester, I rejected this statement with all my being. I wanted nothing more at the end of the day to curl up in my bed or on my couch and study with a cup of hot tea.
However, this semester has been drastically different. I found myself in a constant state of anxiety whenever I was in my dorm and not doing work. My brain had associated my dorm room with a workspace, which ultimately led me to this lovely piece of advice.
Since then, I have found new study places around campus that I enjoy going to before or after class. This has worked wonders for my procrastination habits as well as my mental health. I find that I am not only more motivated to do my work when outside of my dorm, but I no longer get anxious when simply relaxing in my room.
While some of these tips may seem like common sense, sometimes we get so caught up in our work that we need a small reminder. For students who are feeling burnt out and stressed, these tips can help alleviate some of that pressure. As we approach the end of the semester with rapid speed, remember to stop, take a breath and relax just a little bit.

Elena Harman
Elena Harman, Staff Writer
Elena Harman is a junior secondary education major. Elena is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.