5 female authors to read for Women’s History Month

Literature is an outlet of creativity that has shaped the world from the moment of its creation. Women, in particular, have contributed greatly to this medium.
To help celebrate the influential women of the world, here are five female authors who have done monumental work in literature.
Sally Rooney
Sally Rooney is Irish and a relatively new author to the scene. Her most popular work, a novel titled “Normal People,” follows the story of teenagers Marianne and Connell as they grow up and discover their own identities outside of small town life in rural Ireland.
Rooney uses a distinct writing style; she uses no quotation marks, giving her works a stream of consciousness feel. Rooney’s other notable works include “Conversations with Friends” and “Beautiful World, Where Are You?” The former two have also been adapted into two critically acclaimed miniseries available on Hulu.
Her books explore the connections between humans and the intricacies of relationships. While there are romantic plots in her works, the stories are more than a typical romance.
Donna Tartt
While Mississippi continually finds itself at the bottom of many depressing rankings, one area the state excels in is producing great authors. Many people can name famous writers from Mississippi, with examples like William Faulkner, Alice Walker or Angie Thomas. One name that likely slips through the cracks is Donna Tartt, a native of the Delta and a University of Mississippi alumna.
Tartt is most famously known for her novel “The Secret History,” a tale of murder and mystery set in the intricate world of old money New England. Tartt pulls the reader into a web of secrecy through intricate storytelling. Her use of perspective, through main character Richard Papen, allows the reader to view this story through the lens of an outsider.
She is also well known for her other works, like “The Goldfinch” and “The Little Friend.” Tartt has a unique ability to find a new meaning or perspective from the most straightforward stories. No matter what book begins your journey through Tartt’s mind, it is worth the read.
Daphne du Maurier
Daphne du Maurier’s work is described as some of the best mystery/horror stories to come out of the 20th century.
First on the list is “Rebecca,” an excellently-crafted piece following the second wife of Maxim de Winter as she tries freeing herself from the chains of comparison to Maxim’s dead first wife. Three quarters of the way into the book, the reader is hit with an Earth-shattering plot twist, sure to impress even the most seasoned of mystery readers.
Du Maurier’s work was commendable enough to impress iconic director Alfred Hitchcock, who adapted the work into the 1946 film of the same name, starring on screen legends Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier.
Hitchcock and du Maurier’s ties do not end with “Rebecca,” though. Perhaps her most famous work is her short story “The Birds,” which was later adapted into another iconic Hitchcock film.
Du Maurier can pull readers into the story headfirst, leaving them with no choice but to devour the entire work in as little time as possible. Mystery and romance readers alike can both find an interest in du Maurier’s works.
Eudora Welty
Eudora Welty is yet another example of an excellent literary product of Mississippi. Born and raised in Jackson, Mississippi, Welty’s upbringing was heavily affected by the race division of the time.
This is reflected in her work, notably in short stories like “A Worn Path” and “Where Is The Voice Coming From,” the latter of which was written directly after Medgar Evers’ murder by a Ku Klux Klan member.
Her work is an excellent depiction of the deep South and the traditions that run deep in this area. Her short stories are an easy way to get involved with her work, but her novels “The Optimist’s Daughter” and “The Robber Bridegroom” achieved high critical acclaim as well.
Taylor Jenkins Reid
If an avid fan of Taylor Jenkins Reid was asked to describe the resounding aesthetics of her works, one would be remiss not to bring up retro California. Almost all Reid’s books are set in a very specific and notable time period.
In “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo,” Reid follows the life story of fictional Golden Age Hollywood icon Evelyn Hugo as she recounts her life to a biographer in the present day. Reid’s 2019 novel “Daisy Jones and The Six” details the entire oral history of a fictional band that is not unlike the very real Fleetwood Mac.
In both books, there is a clear inspirational factor taken from real points in history. The storytelling involved in Reid’s books set them apart from their origins.
“Daisy Jones and The Six” is clearly modeled after documentary films, while “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” almost feels like a tell all autobiography of real-life Hollywood icons.
Most notably, all of Reid’s books carry a strong female protagonist that is representative of real women. Her characters are not always the most likable person in a room, but their flaws are endearing to the reader as they can relate it with their own personal struggle.

Lucy Hallmark
Lucy Hallmark, Opinion Editor
Lucy Hallmark is a sophomore biochemistry major from Summit, Mississippi. She currently serves as the Opinion Editor. [email protected]