New residence hall aims to foster student community

Courtesy Photo | Ches Fedric

The new residence hall will occupy the green space between Old Main and Ruby Hall, which was previously occupied by Suttle Hall.

Mississippi State University is planning to begin construction of a new $96 million residence hall on the corner of George Perry Street and East Barr Avenue. Construction will begin December 2023 and is planned to be completed by fall 2025.
Dei Allard, executive director of MSU Housing and Residence Life, said the new residence hall will have a unique design.
“The concept is a new type of building than what currently exists on our campus. Single rooms in a pod-style community of 18,” Allard said.
Allard said the building will house 412 students separated by gender.
“The design provides optimal opportunities for student engagement and collaboration with one another as well as the MSU community,” Allard said.
In this “pod-style” dorm, there will be 18 single rooms that funnel into a common bathroom hall. There will also be a common area at the end of each pod.
Allard said single rooms will “provide the privacy and convenience students seek,” and that the new residence hall will provide positive aspects to students.
“Pro: Single bedrooms are available for any student classification, not just upper-division students,” Allard said. “Pro: Will not need to clean your bathrooms! We will have staff for that. Pro: You will have to meet and engage with other students.”
Dante Hill, director for Facilities & Maintenance, said the new residence hall will include elements of the residence halls currently on campus.
“There will not be shower rooms with five showers like we are accustomed to in traditional halls. It will be individual showers, or toilet rooms with showers. Privacy in those areas will still be present,” Hill said. “Bathrooms will not be within the student rooms. They will have shared spaces in the hallway. It’s a mix of both traditional and community in our thoughts.”
Hill said this design will promote community within the residence hall.
“I believe that students living in traditional-style halls benefit from the community environment. This is going to give us the opportunity to mix the two. Allow for some privacy in your own room for studying and sleeping but encouraging you to go outside of your room and interact with other students in the common areas,” Hill said.
Hill said the new residence hall will include a new dining hall and a storm shelter.
“The dining facility will be open to all students and not just residents of this hall. The concept will remind us more of the Union dining area rather than Fresh Food or Perry. The storm shelter will have enough space for the residents of the hall, maybe more,” Hill said.
Allard said this residence hall will have areas designated to collaborate with partners across MSU.
“The intentional integration of several concepts with partners across MSU is also another unique facet of this facility: academic partnership, additional dining options for the MSU community and guests on this side of campus, and a storm shelter,” Allard said.
Prospective dining options include a brick oven, personalized pizza bar, pasta stations and a Maroon Market.
Hill said the hall’s exterior will resemble the Industrial Education Building, YMCA Building and Lee Hall.
“Reflecting on MSU’s architecture and making sure that we blend in is the goal,” Hill said.
The project is still in the early phases and detailed renderings of the design are not ready to be released.
Regina Hyatt, vice president of the Division of Student Affairs, said she is excited about the amenities the new residence hall will bring to campus.
“We are excited about this new residence hall project. We have gotten feedback from students that have helped to inform this process and coupled with the need to replace aging inventory, we look forward to the fall 2025 completion of this project,” Hyatt said. “Additionally, a new dining hall will be incorporated into this project. This provides needed dining options for the north side of campus.”
Saunders Ramsey, director of MSU Campus Services, said that the project is showing strong progress.
“It’s been incredible to watch the team work together to provide all the desired amenities while still respecting architectural details, outdoor environments and the overall campus master plan,” Ramsey said.