“It’s just football;” MSU hosts annual Maroon & White spring game

Spring+Game
Madelyn Sykes | The Reflector
Spring Game

The annual Maroon & White spring game held in Davis Wade Stadium was able to showcase the time and effort that has already been drilled into the Mississippi State Bulldogs.

Head coach Zac Arnett shared that he feels his Bulldogs have been making improvements across the board, and their competitive nature will only lead to a greater team in the fall.

“There were some highlights for the offense and highlights for the defense so both sides of the ball have reasons to be optimistic and happy about the performances of some guys,” Arnett said. “But I guarantee there are a number of plays on both sides of the ball that will have the coordinators and position coaches frustrated, but that obviously means you’ve got a competitive team and a competitive roster.”

The head coach role is vital to the teams’ success, and thankfully, the Bulldogs have a coach who has fully committed his time and energy to watch the team progress. This game showed how hard the team has worked to fine-tune their skills and their potential for what is to come this season.

The offense especially had to learn new routes and strategies. They also had new transfers and recruits that played their first game with the team in Davis Wade. These MSU rookies displayed their talent and the connections that they’ve built with their fellow teammates during practice. 

The team played well together and showed their determination to have a successful upcoming season. The position work and finer details flowed well, and it was obvious to the fans that the team would soon be ready for the fall. Coaches and players all agree on what still needs work and what they’ve mastered. 

Quarterback Will Rogers performed especially well and executed his leadership skills on the field with his talent and confidence. 

“Will has done, obviously a really nice job,” Arnett said. “He’s got so many reps built up in a 10-personnel world where you’re spreading your defense out sideline to sideline a lot.”

Having an experienced Bulldog like Rogers leading the team adds a spirit of familiarity to the rest of the veteran players on the field. It’s safe to say that Rogers is confident in his leadership role. 

“It’s just football,” Rogers said. “I’ve been playing football for a long time, so I feel like I can do anything that coach needs me to do.” 

Every team needs a good leader, and for the Bulldogs, Will Rogers makes an excellent quarterback. He knows the plays, the team and the expectations that come with being the starting quarterback. 

“I think I just have to take it by the horns. Obviously, we’re all learning a new offense. We’re all learning a new scheme,” Rogers said. “So, I have to be the one up there before everybody else, and I have to know the playbook.” 

Other players were able to try out this same position. Quarterbacks like Jake Weir and Chris Parson were granted playing time to show off the new routes and offensive strategies.  

Although Rogers holds the starting position as of now, it gives him the perfect opportunity to mentor the next leader.

“I try to lead by example. I want to see those guys see me putting in the hard work,” Rogers said. “They kind of know the standard that this offense wants to play to.” 

Rogers has the opportunity to help mold and teach the other quarterbacks, and he is very aware of their potential and importance to the Mississippi State football team.

Spring has sprung, and the Mississippi State football team is blooming very nicely. Over the course of the spring semester, players and coaches have worked day in and day out to get the team ready for the upcoming season. The spring game gave hope to the Bulldogs fans for a successful upcoming season this fall.

Kensi Brandenburg
Kensi Brandenburg, Staff Writer
Kensi Brandenburg is a sophomore communication major. Kensi is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.