MSU softball continues to face adversity on the field

Jacob Mitchell | The Reflector
Softball vs. Alabama

The Mississippi State University softball team extended its losing streak after suffering a series loss against Alabama during Super Bulldog Weekend.
The Bulldogs opened the series with a 4-3 loss on Friday. By the top of the third, the Crimson Tide had a 3-0 lead, but the Bulldogs came back by scoring in the bottom of the third.  
Mississippi State bounced back in the bottom of the seventh inning with two runs but fell just short of a win. Senior Madisyn Kennedy hit a two-run homer to cut the lead to just one run. The Bulldogs continued to fight as pinch-hitter Jackie McKenna battled behind the plate until striking out to end the game.
Game two dropped Mississippi State’s chance of winning the series against Alabama with a 6-0 loss. The Crimson Tide scored twice in the first inning with an error and scored two more runs in the fifth inning off a double. A throwing error on the Bulldogs’ behalf in the seventh inning allowed Bama the sixth and final run of the game.
Head Coach Samantha Ricketts believes there has been some inconsistency across the board within the team.
“We have to find a way to work out of it. It’s just the inconsistency of showing some spark yesterday and not bringing it again today,” said Ricketts. “It’s going to take full effort. It feels amplified more right now while we are in this stretch, but we have to clean up all around– pitching, defense and hitting. We haven’t been doing a good job with all three phases.”
However, freshman Nadia Barbary continues to impress and holds much potential for her remaining years. She was able to extend her hitting streak to four games in this series and continues to grow as she gains experience playing at the collegiate level. This season, Barbary has appeared in 33 games, started in 29 and is tied for the team lead with three sacrifice bunts.
To finish off the series, the Bulldogs remained strong defensively and held their own against the Crimson Tide. Unfortunately, State ended the series in a 1-0 loss to No. 16 Alabama.
Mississippi State’s pitcher Aspen Wesley excelled in the last game and managed to strike out seven players overall. Although the team has been struggling on the mound, Wesley believes they have been feeling more like the Bulldogs they once were.
“Everyone that has thrown this weekend gave us a shot, and we tried to do what we could do. Today felt really good. I felt free, and I felt like ourselves. We haven’t been ourselves in a while,” Wesley said. “But today felt like Mississippi State Softball, and that’s all we can ask for and hope we can go up from there.”
Mississippi State softball will host the University of Memphis Wednesday at 6 p.m. in hopes of regaining a steady foot for the remainder of the season.

Parker Acosta
Parker Acosta, Staff Writer
Parker Acosta is a sophomore communication major. Parker is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.