MSU Fashion Board closes active year with successful fashion show, magazine

Jacob Mitchell | The Reflector

The show was designed to resemble a 70s music studio. Tapestries decorated the runway.

The Mississippi State University Fashion Board held a fashion show Wednesday, April 19, and will be releasing the tenth issue of their magazine, Être, on May 2.
The MSU Fashion Board is a way for students interested in fashion, merchandising, modeling and the arts to get involved in a community of fellow creatives.
It provides many opportunities for students interested in pursuing fashion to work together to produce shows, create content and put together a print publication.
Katie Garcia, an active member, said that the Fashion Board has been busy this year.
“This past year, we have had four shows. We had one around Halloween, our annual fashion show with recycled designs, and a show around Valentine’s Day, and one that concluded the year in a festival-like fashion.”
Their most recent show, “Rumours,” was based off the eleventh studio album of the band Fleetwood Mac. This was their first show to feature live music, as local Starkville band Make It to May played a diverse set of cover songs.
“The show itself was very much an ode to bohemian chic elements found in the seventies,” Boot said. “It was one of the best turnouts we’ve had yet. It was held in the District, so we got tons of foot traffic.”
Garcia said the show was a success.
“We felt great about it! It was the last show of the year, so all of us really devoted our energy towards it,” Garcia said. “We were so proud of it, and it ran so smoothly!”
Aside from “Rumours,” the Fashion Board has also been busy preparing to print their magazine.
Heidi Boot, a senior fashion design and merchandising major and the Content Editor for Être, said she joined Fashion Board with the goal of working on the magazine. She said she has enjoyed her time with the team behind Être and her time on the Fashion Board.
“This group is much more than just a club,” Boot said. “It not only gave me a creative outlet, but also an emotional one. We’ve established a community that consists of varying personalities and perspectives, and it’s filled with love, excitement, and thought-provoking conversations.”
“This whole year, we have focused on getting enough content to fill our printed publication,” Garcia said, referring to Être.
Corinne Ellington said being a member of the Fashion Board has given her many opportunities.
“I was the Creative Director and photographer for my first magazine photoshoot,” Ellington said. “Être is my favorite part of Fashion Board. I love the collaborative effort between everybody. We all work really hard to get our jobs done. It’s a community where we all take on different roles and understand the importance of everyone involved.”
Carson Miller, editor-in-chief of the magazine, said Être is a great student opportunity that “aims to push boundaries and ideas by expression of style, art, and writing.”
Sadie Ogletree, the president of Fashion Board, recommends students join the Fashion Board and get involved with Être.
“We hold tryouts and auditions in the fall of each school year, usually around September. Announcements regarding our recruitment will be made over the summer and at the beginning of the school year via our social media, so students looking to get involved should stay in touch through that,” Ogletree said.
At this time, only members of Fashion Board can join the Être team. After being accepted to Fashion Board, students will have the opportunity to apply to work on Être.
For more information about joining Fashion Board or about getting a copy of Être, students can check out Fashion Board’s Instagram or find them on Cowbell Connect. Students can attend any of Fashion Board’s shows, which are free and open to the public.

Anne Louise Phillips
Anne Louise Phillips, Staff Writer
Anne Louise Phillips is a sophomore English major. Anne Louise is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.