Talented newcomers making impacts in the Maroon and White for MSU softball

Landon Scheel | The Reflector

The Mississippi State University softball team has jumped out to an impressive start in 2023, due in part to a plethora of young and talented newcomers.
With a dominating sweep of South Carolina in its SEC opener, the Bulldogs have shown flashes of a team with high potential ahead of a big weekend series against No. 12 Arkansas. The new additions to the MSU roster have shined in the first few weeks of the season and will only continue to get better as they gain more experience and playing time throughout the year.
After the wins against Abilene Christian and Dartmouth during the Snowman Alex Wilcox Memorial, MSU head coach Samantha Ricketts discussed the roster’s depth and how the newcomers have stepped up early in the season.
“To get different players in early in the year is good,” Ricketts said. “This is the most depth we’ve had on our roster, and we’ve been able to use it. A lot of young ones have been able to step up as we have been working through injuries with returners. That’s been nice to see.”
Josey Marron (P)
Freshman Josey Marron has shown instances of greatness in her first few starts in the circle for the Bulldogs. Marron has posted a 1.79 ERA in 58.2 innings pitched and has a record of 7-1 to begin her collegiate career at MSU. The talented freshman also ranks ninth in the SEC in strikeouts, with 78 total in 14 appearances.
Marron fell just shy of recording a no-hitter in game one of the Snowman, but Dartmouth found a hit in the sixth to snap the chances. Coach Ricketts gave her evaluation of Marron’s performance following the impressive victory.
“She looked great and gave us a great start,” Ricketts said. “We had the chance to get some runs up on the board for her early, and she looked comfortable the entire game. It was good to see her calm, controlled, poised and attacking. She really mixed different pitches. She got swings and misses on all the pitches that she throws, which is really good to see. It’s going to really set us up moving forward for the next part of the season.”
Even with the no-hitter being snapped, Marron did not let that stray her from finishing out her dominant appearance in the circle.
“I actually did not even know it was the first hit of the game, but I just bounced back,” Marron said. “I knew my teammates were behind me and had my back. I was smooth sailing still.”
As a freshman, Marron leads MSU’s pitching rotation in ERA and strikeouts, followed closely by veteran Aspen Wesley. Moving forward through the rest of SEC play, Marron will be a huge key for the Bulldogs, and she will have plenty of opportunities to hone her craft even further.
Kiersten Landers (OF)
Let’s rewind back to the 2021 college softball season when outfielder Kiersten Landers was a Florida State Seminole. In her 13th year as FSU’s head coach, Lonni Alameda comes out of the dugout to sub in a freshman pinch hitter. Landers steps up to the plate with runners on first and second, and only one out in the inning. LSU attempted to shut the door, but it was to no avail as Landers hit a walk-off single down the left field line to send FSU to the College World Series.
Landers has also faced her fair share of adversity during her collegiate career. After suffering her second ACL injury in 2022, Landers decided to transfer to Mississippi State, and she has become one of the most dependable hitters on the team.
Following the win in game one of the Bulldog Invitational, Landers discussed what led to her decision to transfer to MSU.
“When I came on my visit here, I just felt really at home,” Landers said. “Coach Ricketts definitely gives a comforting and genuine feel, and the girls were just so great and they really wanted me to be here and I wanted to be here too.”
Landers currently ranks fourth on the team in batting average, hitting .321 with two home runs and eight RBI in 29 games played. Like many talented new faces in Starkvegas for MSU softball, Landers has proved to be an explosive and clutch hitter for the Bulldogs.
Coach Ricketts gave her evaluation of Landers’ performance on the field and in the weight room in her first year at Mississippi State.
“Even in the fall, when [Landers] wasn’t fully clear, she was the most explosive athlete we’ve ever had in the weight room, and that’s coming from our head strength and conditioning coach,” Ricketts said. “Just to see her kind of come back from two torn ACLs and be a mainstay, we try to be a little cautious, especially this early in the season, and just make sure we can keep her healthy. But I think, once she fully finds that confidence in who she is and the player she is, even after two ACL surgeries, she still is very talented.”
Reis Beuerlein (P)
As one of the many talented pitchers in the Bulldog rotation this season, Reis Beuerlein has proven to be one of the most highly-skilled athletes in the circle in the SEC. 
Beuerlein was named SEC Freshman of the Week for her contributions in the sweep of South Carolina to open conference play, where she recorded a 1.40 ERA over the weekend and 12 strikeouts in her appearance in Friday’s game.
In her first 13 appearances in the Maroon and White, Beuerlein has a 2.55 ERA and 43 strikeouts in 35.2 innings pitched with a 3-1 record. After some strong performances during the week, coach Ricketts gave her thoughts on Beuerlein receiving the SEC Freshman of the Week award.
“I’m very proud of Reis for her efforts this week to help the team in the circle,” Ricketts said. “She threw with outstanding poise and command, and it is special to see that recognized. Coach [Josh] Johnson, Reis and all of the pitchers have been working hard all year long, and I am thrilled to see their efforts acknowledged after a great weekend.”
Mississippi State softball will travel to Monroe, Louisiana, Wednesday to battle the University of Louisiana-Monroe (19-14) in a mid-week matchup. Following the game against the Warhawks, MSU returns to Starkville to face the No. 12 Arkansas Razorbacks (24-9) in what is setting up to be an exciting weekend series. 

Dylan Flippo
Dylan Flippo, Former Sports Editor
Dylan Flippo served as the Sports Editor from 2022 to 2023.