Hot Take: The Union Bully sculpture leaves much to be desired

Heather Harrison | The Reflector

In these first few weeks of classes, students have wasted no time voicing their thoughts about the changes on Mississippi State University’s campus. However, no one mentions the Bully statue that has sat outside of the Colvard Student Union for years.
While graduation pictures are taken every year with the bulldog at the Junction, this sculpture has been neglected for a year due to a construction project on the road outside of the Union. Now that construction is complete, we can see how out of place that sad, lumpy dog is in the newly-renovated pedestrian space. 
While walking to the Union for the first time this semester, I found it hard not to notice how different that specific statue looked from how I remembered it, almost as if it was simply swapped out in the middle of the night. The other Bully statues looks like they were designed based off of a real dog. I might even claim the other statues were based on dog that enjoyed life, while the Union Bully sits, thinking about driving through the traffic-ridden campus.
It concerns me that one of the most iconic things about this college is represented as poorly as it is. As prospective students tour the university, I wonder what they think of our statue that looks like it was based on a dog the school got during the Great Depression— not quite a real Bulldog.
The Union Bully sculpture needs a remodel. Its location is central to the student center of campus, and its general vibe fails to deliver the Bulldog charm we all have come to expect in our photos commemorating our years at MSU.

John Baladi
John Baladi, Life & Entertainment Editor
John Baladi is a senior business administration major. He currently serves as the Life & Entertainment Editor. [email protected]