Hot take: Perry Cafeteria gets a bad rap

Landon Scheel | The Reflector

Perry Cafeteria was built in 1921

When asked about dining options on Mississippi State University’s campus, students have strong opinions. Whether it is about the quality of the food, the environment or the facilities, each dining hall on campus has something different to offer. However, the one dining hall that does not get her flowers nearly enough is the Marketplace at Perry. 
Perry is certainly a common choice for a meal on campus, but more often than not, I hear students complaining about it. I refuse to look down on Perry. I would even go so far as to say it is the superior dining hall.
Frankly, the quality of the food at Perry is similar, if not identical to Fresh Food Company. The real differences lie in atmosphere and location. Perry is quite nearly on the center of campus, located right off of the Drill Field. In comparison, Fresh Food Company is located much farther away, closer to the intramural fields. While the walk to Fresh definitely promotes a healthy lifestyle, it is not quite what most students desire while fighting post-lecture hunger.  
Perry also has the added bonus of an incredible staff. Anyone entering Perry would note the warm welcome they receive from Ms. Annie and her dining hall staff colleagues. In a world where kind words can be few and far between, a polite phrase over a warm meal goes a long way.
It is time for students to stop taking this dining hall for granted. Marketplace at Perry holds a unique place in Mississippi State history, and to this day, it has continued to uphold a pristine reputation.

Lucy Hallmark
Lucy Hallmark, Opinion Editor
Lucy Hallmark is a sophomore biochemistry major from Summit, Mississippi. She currently serves as the Opinion Editor. [email protected]