Make some room for an emotional support fish

pet fish graphic

If it hadn’t been for my fish Sweetpea, my first year of college would have been a wash. That sweet, pink, tropical creature did more than just swim in circles and eat freeze-dried worms all day. He kept my sanity intact. Sitting at my desk, watching him move gracefully about his tank eased my worries and melted my stress away. Sweetpea has been a crucial part of my college experience, and for that reason, I think everyone could benefit from having a Sweetpea of their own. 
There are many studies that show a positive correlation between owning pets and having improved mental health. According to The National Institutes of Health, research shows that interacting with pets can lower cortisol levels and blood pressure, as well as improve your mood. 
The Federal Fair Housing Act now recognizes emotional support animals and their benefits, protecting them under federal law to be allowed in housing, even where pets are prohibited. Emotional support animals serve the purpose of relieving symptoms of depression and loneliness, preventing panic attacks and providing aid to those recovering from trauma. 
Oftentimes, people associate emotional support from animals with larger, furrier creatures. But what about the little guys, our reptilian roommates, feathered friends and aquatic allies? Research suggests that even these unconventional companions can have similar, positive effects on your mental well-being. 
A study published in the National Library of Medicine provided evidence suggesting that interacting with fish can be beneficial for humans both psychologically and physiologically. The article further stated that having pet fish is associated with reduced stress and increased feelings of relaxation, as well as reported feelings of happiness and companionship. 
Research published in the National Library of Medicine measured the anxiety levels of students who were about to give a speech to their class. One group was given the opportunity to watch a fish tank for five minutes beforehand, while the other was not. The results of this experiment concluded that those who watched the fish tank had significantly decreased levels of anxiety compared to the others.
To no one’s surprise, one of the biggest challenges that students face while in school is stress. If getting hold of a small, blubbering fish is what it takes to put this stress to bed, why not give it a shot? 

Their affordable, low-maintenance lifestyle makes caring for a fish one of the easiest options for students’ busy lives. A $5 fish from PetSmart paired with Walmart’s $25 tank setup is all you need to have a friend for life (or at least for a couple of months). 

Sweetpea did a lot of good before his untimely passing. He eased my mind, softening all the sharp edges and providing comfort after each long, hard day. Now, the torch has been passed to his successor, Beaver the betta, who is currently entertained by his air bubbler. Consider swinging by your local pet store today to see what a $5 friend can do for you.  
Cadence Harvey
Cadence Harvey, Former Managing Editor
Cadence Harvey served as the Managing Editor from 2023 to 2024.