Sweet home Alabama: Bulldogs look to rebound against Crimson Tide

Jahari Bell | The Reflector

Mississippi State University football is looking to rebound after a tough loss against the University of Kentucky, as the Bulldogs face off against Nick Saban and the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, Saturday.
Both the Bulldogs and the Tide suffered a loss in week seven. MSU dropped a tough game to the University of Kentucky, and Alabama lost against the University of Tennessee for the first time in 15 years. This matchup between the Bulldogs and Tide is equally important for both sides as they look to rebound from last weekend’s losses.
MSU holds a record of 5-2, and Alabama’s record is 6-1 heading into the showdown in Tuscaloosa. Both teams have struggled with penalties in recent weeks. Last week, MSU had 13 penalties and Alabama had 17 penalties in their respective games. Both teams will need to clean up if they want to return to the win column this week. 
Alabama also gave up 52 points to the Tennessee Volunteers last week, which is the most in 115 years. The last time the Crimson Tide gave up that many points was in 1907. 
The previous meeting of the Bulldogs and the Tide in the 2021 season went to Alabama with a score of 49-9. Alabama holds a current winning streak over MSU of 14 games since 2008. The last time the Bulldogs won against the Alabama Crimson Tide was in 2007. 
Referring to the losing streak MSU has against The Tide, Bulldog head coach Mike Leach said the streak is not something he is looking at this week in preparation for the game. 
“I mean, all that counts is what you do today and then what you do next. You know you don’t have any control over that, that doesn’t affect anything,” Leach said. 
MSU’s biggest obstacle going into this matchup will be the Alabama defense and the likes of linebacker Will Anderson Jr. If the Bulldogs want to put up points against the Tide’s defense, MSU’s offensive line will have to be tidy and find ways to prevent Anderson from getting to junior quarterback Will Rogers.
Rogers has tied Dak Prescott’s (2012-2015) MSU career record with 70 passing touchdowns. He needs 337 yards to match Prescott’s career passing yards (9,376). Cornerback Emmanuel Forbes had four interceptions in his last three games, including two returned for touchdowns. Forbes tied the SEC career record with his fifth pick-six at No. 22 Kentucky. 
In this week’s press conference, Alabama head coach Nick Saban said Leach’s offense is one of the most difficult to defend.
“You know Mississippi State is an outstanding team. I think Mike Leach is one of the most difficult guys offensively to try and defend. Relative to their offense, the quarterback, Will Rogers, does a great job with that. They are one of the leading passing teams in the country. They’ve got a good receiving corps. I think they’re running the ball more effectively this year than maybe in years past,” Saban said.
MSU football travels to Tuscaloosa this Saturday at 6 p.m. to play the Alabama Crimson Tide at Bryant-Denny Stadium. The matchup between the Bulldogs and the Tide will be broadcast live on ESPN.