Rumors “Ring True”: John Cohen’s tenure as MSU’s athletic director is over

Rumors Ring True: John Cohens tenure as MSUs athletic director is over
Courtesy Photo | MSU

John Cohen’s tenure as Mississippi State University’s athletic director has come to an end. It was rumored over the weekend that Cohen was being poached by Auburn University to step in as their athletic director, and the rumors “rang true” on Monday.
Ross Dellenger of Sports Illustrated tweeted, “John Cohen has informed Mississippi State officials of his resignation from the school, sources tell @SINow. The expectations is he will be named the Auburn AD as soon as today in a deal that was being finalized over the weekend.”
Cohen attended Mississippi State University and played first base for the baseball team. Before serving his alma mater as athletic director, Cohen coached MSU baseball from 2009-2016. In 2013, he led the Bulldogs to the College World Series where they ultimately lost to the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA).
When hired as Mississippi State’s AD in 2016, Cohen had nothing but good things to say about MSU.
“I love Mississippi State University,” Cohen said. “As a student, later as a coach, and now with this fantastic opportunity to lead MSU’s athletics program, this was always where I wanted to be. I am profoundly grateful for the chance to lead the totality of MSU athletics as I have tried to lead MSU’s baseball program — in daily and dogged pursuit of championships at the highest level.
Cohen witnessed the Bulldogs win the College World Series as athletic director in 2021. He also hired two new head football coaches following the departure of Dan Mullen — including Joe Moorhead in 2018 and Mike Leach in 2020. Also under his reign, women’s basketball made it to the elite eight, and MSU had multiple players selected in the draft for professional sports.
Under his watch, MSU gained approval for upgrades to athletic facilities. Before the 2018 football season, Cohen approved a renovation for the locker rooms in Davis Wade Stadium. More recently, he approved the ongoing renovations to Humphrey Coliseum. 
“Our student athletes and coaches deserve elite facilities,” John Cohen told Stadia Magazine. “This project will greatly enhance our team and recruiting operations in Davis Wade Stadium.”
Various sources have reported Cohen’s five-year contract with Auburn is nearly $1.5 million annually. Those same sources have reported that this is an increase in what he made at MSU. 
Moments after the deal with Auburn was finalized, news broke that Auburn’s head coach Bryan Harsin was fired.
Mark Keenum stated that MSU is searching for a new athletic director. In the meantime, Bracky Brett will fill in as interim AD.
“Together as the Bulldog family, we will move purposefully to find a new leader who can both embrace and build on that culture of success,” Mark Keenum said. 
MSU football faces off against the Auburn Tigers in what will surely be in an intriguing matchup Saturday. Kickoff against Auburn is set for 6:30 p.m. and will be streamed live on ESPN2.