Indigenous students rediscover their culture at MSU

Hunter Harris | Courtesy Photo

Graduate student Hunter Harris rediscovered his Choctaw heritage through MSU involvement.

In 1990, President George H. W. Bush designated November as Native American Heritage Month.
The month is a time to acknowledge rich culture and traditions and remember the numerous achievements by Native Americans.
The month is celebrated nationwide by many different Indigenous communities, including Mississippi State University.
Hunter Harris received his bachelor’s degree in computer engineering from MSU and is now a graduate student pursuing a degree in electrical and computer engineering. Along with being a student at Mississippi State, he is also a proud Choctaw Indian from a tribe located in Oklahoma.
Harris was born in Georgia and grew up in South Carolina. During his youth, his heritage and culture seemed to dwindle as he got older.
While his mother was born and raised within the Oklahoma Choctaw tribe, their family rarely made the trip back to visit. Eventually, at MSU, Harris was able to rediscover his culture through the university, along with an internship he pursued within his tribal headquarters in Oklahoma.
Through classes, he learned about the original removal of his ancestors and how some of them were from a different Choctaw tribe in Mississippi.
“Coming to college, Mississippi was not one of my top choices. I felt a calling coming back here and started doing ancestry on my mom’s side of the family and noticed in the 1990 census it says they lived in Mississippi,” Harris said.
After leaving Mississippi, Harris’s family eventually found a haven in Oklahoma where his ancestors began to restore their Choctaw culture.
Even though much of the culture was disappearing due to lost elders and fear of being “Choctaw proud,” some tribe members made sure to re-teach the traditions and values.
“I learned about a cousin that brought back stomp dancing, lion dancing and so much of our culture from Mississippi to Oklahoma,” Harris said.
Through learning about his ancestors and Native American history, Harris developed a passion for his Choctaw heritage and continues to learn through speaking with his tribe elders as well as peers at Mississippi State.
One way he has been able to connect with others at MSU is through the Indigenous Students and Allies Association (ISAA). The organization was created as a safe place for all Indigenous students on campus and allows them to connect and learn with other ethnic students.
Rayven McMillian, a junior electrical engineering major and president of the ISAA, is half Mississippi band of Choctaw and half Navajo nation (Diné). She said the main goal within the organization is to raise awareness and spread culture throughout the campus.
“ISAA aims to provide education, develop connections and showcase advocacy at Mississippi State University,” McMillian said.
Cultural events put on by ISAA include tribal dancing, food, art and many other activities which encompass the Native American traditions within each student.
Not only do these events provide an outlet for the Indigenous student population but a new learning experience for those outside of the culture as well.
“This allows students to understand Native American history and values because it establishes our sense of identity and belonging by raising awareness and explaining its history and impacts,” McMillian said.
McMillian said she wants to spread the word about ISAA and make everyone aware of the organization’s existence. She said she wants to connect with people to showcase her culture within the Mississippi State community.
Karl Butler, a junior computer engineering major and event coordinator for ISAA, is also a part of the Mississippi band of Choctaw Indians.
Putting together events, teaching traditional dances and playing stickball games are some of the many ways Butler helped bring the Indigenous community together.
“We often see new faces and make sure they feel included to share their own culture, which is one of my favorite parts about our organization,” Butler said.
Butler has become close with many students, such as McMillian and Harris, while continuing to learn more about his culture. He has come to appreciate his history and the relationships and experiences given to him.
“I became more appreciative about being born Choctaw, and I take pride in teaching others about Choctaw traditions and raising awareness for social issues affecting Indigenous communities,” Butler said. “I am still learning about my own culture.”
Harris has become a proud Native American and continues to learn about his Choctaw traditions daily. From practicing his language to wearing special medallions and regalia, he said he hopes to educate those around him and show how proud he is of his heritage.
“To be Native American is about being proud of where you come from or what you came from. As my chief says, being Choctaw is all in your heart. It’s about having that feeling to help other people,” Harris said.