Annual Trashion Show showcases unconventional creativity

Gabriella Sutherland | The Reflector

One of the fashion designers created a dress out of Dorito bags. 

The Mississippi State University Fashion Board presented its annual Trashion Show Wednesday at the Raspet Flight Research Laboratory in Starkville.
Fashion Board is a student-led organization on campus. The board works to expand the fashion scene in Starkville and provide experience for students interested in a career in fashion and merchandising.
The Trashion Show is an annual event where anyone can submit a look; the only rule is the materials must be upcycled, or made out of trash. Looks from the night incorporated materials like bottle caps, Dorito bags and all upcycled denim.
Lara Underwood, a designer for this year’s Trashion Show, recounted her experience being involved with the event.
“This was my first Trashion, and being a designer, I would say I was very involved. I had to meet with my model and get her measurements and then make sure my garment fit her. I made my Trashion garment out of used denim, and it was quite difficult, but I think it turned out great,” said Underwood, a sophomore fashion design and merchandising major.
Underwood found that the show offered more than entertainment. She categorized this event as an opportunity for the community to express themselves through fashion in a unique way.
“Events like Trashion showcase the designs of students attending Mississippi State University. It gives them the opportunity to go outside of their comfort zone and create their own designs that will walk a fashion show. This show gave lots of other students and me more confidence in our abilities,” Underwood said.
Another MSU student and designer for the show, Elizabeth Hutson, found the concept of Trashion to be more of a commentary on the environment rather than just about the fashion trends presented.
“I feel like a lot of people think Trashion is just another challenging way to construct a garment, but there’s a bigger meaning behind it. I think Trashion is meant to open your eye to how trash can affect our environment,” Hutson said. “I also think that since there is so much trash in this world, it’s good to experiment with trash when you’re making a garment.”
Many looks throughout the night took the meaning of garbage literally and incorporated previously unusable or unwanted items into the garments. Hutson recounted a look that she admired from another designer.
“I was definitely amazed by the Record Dress. I love how the designer incorporated records that are not usable anymore. The way the records were cut in triangles really impressed me. I think a lot of work and skill went into that dress, and I appreciate it so much,” Hutson said.
For students like Sydney Denton, a sophomore history major, this experience is one of their first. Denton highlighted how her involvement with the MSU Fashion board, specifically saying Trashion was one of her first opportunities to help organize a real fashion show.
“These types of events are important especially for a place like MSU because students here don’t exactly get a lot of chances to show off creative fashion senses,” Denton said.
She described the production as an artistic outlet for students to showcase their originality and creativity.
“I loved Trashion due to the originality of all the designs and being able to see someone’s work come from a concept sketch to an actual piece. Everything from makeup and hair was also much more outgoing than regular shows, as the designers were able to request certain looks to suit their pieces,” Denton said.
Events like the Trashion Show highlight the environmental effects of the fashion industry, making statements about these issues and popularizing upcycling and thrifting to reduce these effects.
Denton commented on how sustainable fashion was incorporated onto last week’s catwalk.
“There is also a sustainability side to Trashion. I feel like showcasing the ability to make beautiful articles of clothing out of miscellaneous objects that aren’t exactly for that purpose shows a norm of fast fashion and consumerism isn’t necessary,” Denton said.
The fashion showcase provided a place to talk about hard issues while emphasizing the artistry of the students on campus. Hutson expressed her gratitude for the opportunity to present her design.
“It was very surreal. Before I got at Mississippi State I (had) always wanted to get into Fashion Board and participate in Trashion. I feel so accomplished about my design, and it felt really good to show it off to others,” Hutson said.

Lizzie Tomlin
Lizzie Tomlin, Staff Writer
Lizzie Tomlin is a senior political science major. Lizzie is currently a staff writer for The Reflector.